Review of | Teen Ink

Review of

By brianahx BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
brianahx BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

When I first came across “Then Came the Fire” by Tomer Witelson, I judged the title at the surface and dismissed the article overall. As I reread through the Teen Ink magazine, the last thing I anticipated was to connect to it on such a personal level, let alone write feedback on the article. I was immersed in each word he chose to describe his thoughts and emotions during this period of time in his life. In “Then Came the Fire”, Witelson reflects on his experience running for class president and the insecurities that arose because of it. Throughout my life, I’ve always found myself doubting my abilities, as a person and a student. Like Witelson, I constantly run through a cycle of confidence and uncertainty. What stood out to me even more was that I could recall memories of running for a similar position and dealing with the humiliation of the aftermath. Eventually, Witelson forms a new outlook on the situation and appreciates his efforts to go through with such an intimidating opportunity. From drawing parallels from my life to his, this perspective caused me to reflect on my own experience. Although I had already moved on, “Them Came the Fire” helped me look upon the event in a new, more positive light.