An open letter to everyone | Teen Ink

An open letter to everyone

Dear new friend
Hey, I’ve heard that recently you been dealing with low self-esteem. I’m here to help with that, maybe even fix it. Even in my life i’ve suffered from low self-esteem and i know how it feels when you think everything is your fault and that you need to be involved in and try to fix everything. The very first tip i’ll give you is to stop thinking that you aren’t good enough or aren’t smart enough because you can do it, you are smart enough, you ARE good enough! Even though you might think this is a social thing it really isn’t, it’s all in your head and you need to focus on getting it out. I know what it’s like to suffer from low self-esteem and these are some ways that can help with that.
As much as you may think that nobody is able to feel like you feel, you’re wrong, many people including me have gone through the exact same thing you have and maybe are going through right now. As much as you may think it, you’re not the root to every problem, you don’t need to try to solve every problem, you’ll be ok without getting involved in other people’s drama and problems. And i’m not saying that you’re not important, just that the world doesn’t revolve around you. Make sure you don’t try to hide your feelings from people, people around you do care about you and they want to help. Try letting them help with the problems because they may be able to help more than you think. Also telling people can help to release a lot of pent up emotions. Next time someone around you asks to help try to let them, don’t try to block them out it won’t help either of you.

Also it’s about time to recognize that you are so much better than what you think you are. When you tell yourself that you can’t do something it makes you less motivated to actually be able to do it. Try to find a way to pump yourself up, for me it was music. Music puts me in a good mood and gives me confidence, try to find your motivation. Look for what you enjoy most and see if it helps. Also don’t let other people’s words affect you in negative ways because they are just jealous of where you’re at in life. Once you learn that those people are just roadblocks in life you can get past them and focus on your goals. I know things are a lot easier said than done but if you really put your mind to it then it is possible to help get through whatever you’re going through right now.

The last tip is to know this is all in your head and that you can block out these thoughts, it’ll just take some time. These thoughts that you’re thinking are all in your head, people around you think you’re so much better than what you think of yourself. Everytime that you’re thinking something negative of yourself just know that that’s not you, that’s what you’re afraid of being like. Remember that all these negative thoughts are just what you think, you know that you’re better than what you’re telling yourself. Nobody hates you for how you look, no one hates you the way you talk.They’re your friend because you are you. This is the most helpful part of the process by far because when you realize that this is all in your head and not everyone around you hates you then getting over it will be a lot easier.

Even though these steps may be general things that are obvious, they really do help you and can play a big part in helping you with low self esteem. Try to start using these steps in your everyday life. I know from personal experience that this will not work immediately. It may take a month, or it might take a few months but just don’t give up in the end you will be so much happier and everyone around you will be happy for you. Try to remember that nothing happens overnight so keeping to these steps everyday won’t be the easiest thing ever but they will be one of the most helpful.

Sincerely,
JJ Confides