Track | Teen Ink

Track

By G_Pilots BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
G_Pilots BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Track is more than just running, it also takes passion.  I have set goals for myself and I haven’t stopped trying to reach them since my freshman year.  I have participated in other sports in hopes that they would help obtain my goals. In the winter I have lifted to help prepare me for spring season.  I love the feel of track season, the way the warm air hits my skin, the way the birds and nature finally come back from a frigid winter.

I spend my time with friends and family during track season.  Track meets seem to bring everyone that I care about together, from friends coming to watch me run, to my dad coming to see me reach my goals.

Additionally, track comes with preparations, practices, and meetings.  It all starts on a cool March day at the school where the first day of practice starts.  This day shows who has been working the hardest and who wants the top spot on the track team, for everyone has their eye on a relay team.  With effort and preparation I practice for the upcoming season in April with high hopes of a successful season.  During the weeks of sweating and the pain of aching muscles, it is time, time for the first meet of the season.  The thrill and rush during the day is indescribable, to prove yourself and show the team that you belong in the spot you are in.

Moments before the meet is when I feel the adrenalin rush through my veins, as I see the other schools drive into the parking lot I begin to breath heavy.  I take a minute and sit down and close my eyes to have a quick pray, “Lord give me the strength to do my best today. Amen.”  With that the announcements begin and my event is called, so I start to walk into my lane.  I bounce around, hoping to keep my muscles stretched and limber.  I get to position in my blocks to take my last breaths.  There I wait for the gun to pop, ‘Bang!’ I finally feel all the energy rush into my legs as I run to the finish line.  The greatest feeling in the world is the moment I see I placed first in my heat knowing that I am moving on to the next event.

Since the beginning of spring I thought I would write about my favorite sport during this time!