Powder Puff | Teen Ink

Powder Puff

January 13, 2010
By leslie.lam123 SILVER, Houston, Texas
leslie.lam123 SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A lot of people think that football is only for guys. However, at my old school, once a year we had a day where the 7th grade girls played the 8th grade girls in a game called “Powder Puff.” Every year the 8th grade thought the same thing, “We have to beat these 7th graders.” The 7th grade girls wore the Junior Varsity boys’ football jerseys and the 8th grade girls wore the Varsity football jersey’s. Our entire grade was there for the Powder Puff game against the 7th grade girls. Every year the 8th grade wins, so we had to keep the winning streak going. A few of the boys refereed the game. The rest of the boys sat on the bleachers as they cheered us on.
This was the game I had dreamed of since Kindergarten and now it was the last quarter of our game. Allyson, a very athletic girl in our grade was the girl with the football now; she was running down the field to make the winning touchdown. She threw one more pass to Kathryn (another very athletic girl in our grade) and this was the last point that we needed to win the game. You could hear the cheering of the 8th grade girls from miles away. Even the boys had a few “whoop, whoops” here and there. “Yes! We did it, we won!” Allyson said as she breathed a sigh of relief. We had won the game! With sweat and all, we tackled Allyson and Kathryn straight to the ground. We all started laughing and of course all of the boys had to join in; then we all got tackled by big and sweaty boys, which is way worse than getting tackled by girls! As we walked off the fresh smelling green cut grass, we had big smiles on our faces until we realized that all of the jerseys were soaked with the sweat from the hot, humid Houston air and from all of the sweaty people who had been on top of us. We were then disgusted by the stench that we carried with us wherever we walked. So, we celebrated our wonderful victory with showers! I will never forget that football game in particular because it was the only girls vs. girls football game of the year. More importantly, I will remember it because I got to spend it with the people that I love most of all in the whole world, my friends.