Why Michael Redd Will Hurt the Bucks | Teen Ink

Why Michael Redd Will Hurt the Bucks

January 11, 2010
By Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sitting at 8-4, fifth in the Eastern Conference, Brandon Jennings and the Milwaukee Bucks are looking to return to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. Michael Redd is back, so things are looking up, right?
Michael Redd, the franchise player on the Bucks for the past decade, is just getting back from a left knee injury. But with the level of competition in the NBA today, Redd’s style will not flow with Jennings’. Both players look to score first, and at times, force up poor shots. Each player takes 19 shots per game. That is about half of a single teams shots in one game. Unless both of them are stroking it, it will come back to haunt them.
The Bucks chemistry is strong, and they have been close in every game. What they lack is a forward. If they want to improve their team for the long run, they should trade Redd for a young forward or a draft pick. That way, they could build their team around Brandon Jennings and Andrew Bogut, and work in the other players.
Although Michael Redd is a proven star in the NBA, he does not fit the rebuilding process of the Milwaukee Bucks. They do not need another scorer. They need a role player who can play tough defense, fight for loose balls and rebounds, and score when needed.