Pay The Players | Teen Ink

Pay The Players

May 2, 2022
By Maddoxbracken BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Maddoxbracken BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


My cousin Ryan is an NCAA wrestler who has won two national championships and won state twice in high school. Our whole family doesn't understand why he isn't allowed to make money off of himself because he is the one bringing in all the crowds and all the money to the owners and staff but he's making nothing from being one of the best wrestlers in the country. His college career is over now and he didn't make a dime which is ridiculous. I'll be writing about how I think that NCAA players should be paid because of how much time and effort they put into their sport for the school that they play for.

Why aren't NCAA players paid? That's a question I ask myself a lot because it seems so ridiculous, they are the ones that make the teams and schools money. Well, the NCAA says that they aren't paid because they want to promote amateurism and insist that they are not professionals which I can somewhat understand but honestly they basically are professionals. They get all the same treatment as your average NBA player they get posted on all of the top social media accounts they get broadcasted on stations such as ESPN or CBS sports, all top-rated sports broadcasting channels. They play just about the same amount of games in a week too. But the only thing that separates them is that the NCAA players aren't getting paid.

Why do I think they should be paid? I think they should be paid because they are night in and night out working their hardest to make it to the draft night and get picked. They are the main reason that the schools are being paid and they are bringing in crowds. They are honestly working harder than anyone in the NBA because they need to earn their spot over the guy ahead of them but in the NBA they have their spot sealed and locked in. I don't get how the NCAAdoes not see that they need to pay these players that make them money. They should at least just have the option to make money off of their names but even that they won't let them do. 

How should they be paid? I think that they should either be paid based on success or how high of a star recruit you are. My favorite sport is basketball so that's the main thing that comes to my mind and they could be paid by minutes but that doesn't correlate with all sports. But they could figure out a way to fairly pay the players for all the hard work they put in. it's their hard-earned money that they deserve and should make. With all the money that the players bring in for them to get nothing is ridiculous, they are bringing crowds night in and night out but earning nothing from it. The only reason that could convince me otherwise is that they just want them to be amateurs but even that doesn't make sense.

I talked about why the players aren't paid, why I think they should be paid, and how they should be paid. The reason this correlates to me is because of my cousin Ryan and how he had such a successful career just to make no money from it. I think NCAA players should be paid for all the hard work they put in and for them to just make nothing, I don't get it. That's why I think the players should be paid.