The Best Sport In the WORLD | Teen Ink

The Best Sport In the WORLD

Throughout history, competition has always been a major form of entertainment for people. Whether it be gladiators battling to the death in Rome in the 1st century AD or Muhammad Ali versus Joe Frazier in Madison Square Garden in  1974, people have always enjoyed watching others competing one-on-one, with nothing to hid behind and noody to depend on but themselves. Likewise, these mano a mano competitions mold people into some of the best athletes in the world. Individual sports like Boxing or Wrestling force people to deal with stress and pressure on a daily basis, whether it be at practice or in competition. Participants in the sports have to be in the best shape possible while staying healthy and in peak condition. The success attainable by athletes in individual sports is only limited by the amount of time, effort, and dedication put into their craft daily. While other sports like Football or Soccer may be more popular and well-known, Wrestling is the best sport in the world because it develops mental toughness and discipline, keeps people in great shape, and develops good character in people.

Firstly, Wrestling is a great sport because it trains mental toughness. The sport of Wrestling is one of the most demanding physically, mentally, and emotionally and every year kids quit Wrestling teams mid-season because they aren’t able to handle the pressure. Wrestling pushes people way beyond their breaking point and forces people to confront their limitations and work to overcome them. Many people that wrestle go on to work and thrive in demanding fields like the Marines, Navy, or Chief Executive positions. This is because Wrestling instills the mental tougness and grit necessary to keep moving and working to progress. However this isn’t the only reason that Wrestling is a great sport.

Secondly, Wrestlingis the best sport in the world because it gets people in great shape. Whether it’s the 2-hour drill practices or cutting weight, Wrestling forces people to be in the best shape possible. People have to eat healthy and stay conditioned or else they won’t be able to compete and perform at a high level. If a person slacks off at practice and eats unhealthily, they won’t have the endurance necessary to perform in competition.

Finally, Wrestling is the greatest sport in the world because it builds good character. There are no limitations on how good someone can be or how much they can learn until they put limitations on themselves. Also, Wrestling is one man against another so there are no teammates to hide behind. The time and effort put into honing your craft is reflected anytime you step on the mat to compete. If someone wins, it’s because they deserved it and worked harder than their opponent. If they lose, it’s also on them and only them. People are forced to confront failure and strive for greatness. They are forced to take responsibility for whether they win or lose. Blame can’t be placed on anybody else because the outcome of a match is solely determined on those participating in the match.

Overall, Wrestling is a sport of progress and hard work. Any work put into the sport will be repaid later when it matters. Success in the sport is solely dependent on the individuaL; not the coaching staff, not any teammates, not the ref, and not the spectators. People are forced to “embrace the grind” and push through adversity to reach success.