Bible vs. Koran | Teen Ink

Bible vs. Koran

September 9, 2012
By Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other
Sophiadlt1 PLATINUM, Barcelona, Other
44 articles 5 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play."
— Jay Asher (Thirteen Reasons Why)


Agreeing with the bible and the Koran has become more difficult after their ideas about adultery, slaves, and non-believers. The bible and the Koran both have very strict or different ideas on these subjects that may not completely be agreed with in modern day views.

According to the Koran and bible, adultery is a serious offence, each has their own idea which in this case are completely different. In this case, the bible clearly states that no w****monger may enter the kingdom of heaven. This idea becomes lucid when the bible states, "No w****monger, no unclean person hath an inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God." (Ephesians 5:5) However, the Koran has a more gruesome idea of punishment than the bible, and it can be often seen as what is today abusive or torturous. The Koran in spite of their all forgiving and loving god says, “The woman and the man Guilty of fornication Flog each of them. With a hundred stripes, and let a party of believers. Witness their punishment,” (Surah 24 Al Nur, verse 2). Therefore, it has been noted neither religion had a modern take on things, especially ideas like adultery, however, I believe it is fair to conclude that the Koran has a more intense and extreme idea on the situation at hand. This also makes me question the religion, and makes it very hard for me to concur with it.

Once again the bible and Koran have contrasting ideas on slaves. In fact the bible barely addresses the idea of slavery, and never once says that it is wrong. In fact the bible says, "When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.” (Exodus 21:20) This is being done it such a way; it feels like the answer is almost being invaded. On the other hand, it does seem like the Koran has a more modern idea on the topic of slavery however. As it says, “It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and giveth wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to -set slaves free-; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor-due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the Allah-fearing.” (Yusuf Ali 2:177) This quote states that you can not ignore what is right infront of you and to free slaves, unlike the bible. In this case it would most likely be a wide belief that the Koran has a more modern and equal idea on this matter of slavery, while the bible instead of justifying it, instead it just ignores the situation completely.

Finally, the Koran and the bible have almost identical ideas about non-believers. The bible says, “And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.” (Chronicles 15:12-13) The bible literally explains that all non-believers should be put to death, while in the Koran says, “But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Malik 9:5) Once again the idea or murdering the non-believers is found, I believe it is a reasonable denouement to state that the subject of non-believers has roughly the same idea in both holy books. Both have extreme ideas that I must quarrel with for they are gruesome and are just completely fallacious in my opinion.

In conclusion, the books have rather different ideas in some place and others that are more similar, however the books also have awful and shocking ideas within them as well that go much against modern day popular belief.