Standing Out, What Makes Me Different | Teen Ink

Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

February 8, 2010
By LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
5 articles 6 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.


I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 96 comments.


on Dec. 11 2021 at 8:00 pm
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana
20 articles 5 photos 177 comments

Favorite Quote:
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Yes.

(Yes more)

on Feb. 15 2018 at 6:59 pm
Artistic_Geek_Roo_10 SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
6 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of places, but only if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

This was extremely well written. Great job shining a light for Christ wherever you go!

on Oct. 22 2015 at 7:50 pm
m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
11 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You never know until you try!" -author unknown

This was amazing! We can't earn our way to heaven! Thank you for writing it!

on Nov. 25 2013 at 9:27 pm
onegirlandapen PLATINUM, Madera, California
49 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

This is one of the best things I have read in a long time. Way to hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what being a Christian is all about. I hope you don't mind if I quote this when I speak to people about Christ.

Outcast4God said...
on Nov. 6 2013 at 10:15 pm
You go girl!!! That's what we need!

on Aug. 29 2013 at 8:31 am
DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 218 comments
I absolutly agree with everything you said. Chrisiantity is way more then just a religion, i love the way you said this!!!!!!!!!!! great job Leanna 

justapen said...
on Jul. 28 2013 at 9:46 pm
justapen, North Haven, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I thought this was amazing. Honestly, I agreed with everything you said. I like how you explained your reasoning through God's word. Also, I think it's great that you don't swear or any of those things. So many people do and I often question why? Anyway, this was amazing to read. Great job!

on Mar. 24 2012 at 1:26 pm
LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
5 articles 6 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

on Mar. 23 2012 at 5:49 pm
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Typically whenever I read stuff like this, it's mostly the person saying that their way is the right way and anyone who says differently is stupid. However, I really liked at how you didn't do that. You just stated your case, explained why your viewpoint works for you, bowed, and left. Personally I disagreed with you on certain points, but I didn't mind because you were still very polite and well-meaning, unlike so many other religious people I've met. So even though I may not share your philosophy, your basic humanity, instead of simply your doctrine, made me admire your work very much. Good job.

on Mar. 10 2012 at 12:48 pm
LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
5 articles 6 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

thank you(:

on Mar. 10 2012 at 12:48 pm
LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
5 articles 6 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Thank ou! I appreciate that I've been at the top for 2 years and can't seem to get into the magazine:(

on Feb. 13 2012 at 2:40 pm
LivingforGodsince2003, BRONZE, Cumberland Furnace, Tennessee
2 articles 0 photos 10 comments
I love this, and it describes me perfecty. My friend today said I am naive thinking that murderes can change, but they can because Paul killed CHRISTIANS for MONEY before he became saved. Anyone can change if they accept Jesus. Sorry I'm off topic, but anyways I love this.

on Jan. 17 2012 at 1:31 pm
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana
22 articles 35 photos 121 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

I love this article and think it should be in the magazine =)

SeasonalFog said...
on Dec. 4 2011 at 1:25 pm
SeasonalFog, Irvine, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

The title is disconnected from the article. The title makes it seem that it is about you infividuallly, but the article is focused on why your religion is different, 

on Nov. 17 2011 at 5:15 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

No worries, thanks to you too! 

on Nov. 17 2011 at 5:09 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 2 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

exactly! :D Its cool to understnad and discuss other religons. Thanks for talking Destinee!

on Nov. 17 2011 at 4:11 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Haha, well, Abrahamic faiths are very close. But it's actually a bit freaky how close orthodox Judaism and Islam are. :) 

I believe the Bible is partially true. 

It was nice talking to you too! :) And haha, debates are dumb. Why argue when you can discuss? XD

on Nov. 15 2011 at 5:36 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 2 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

its kind of weird how close our religons are but yet they are so far apart. I beleive Jesus is the way to my slavationa nd he is the son of God. I also beleive the bible is true. Its nice to have a conversation with you. You seem to not condem my religon, and I am not condeming your. More of a pleasant conversation than a debate =D

on Nov. 15 2011 at 4:27 pm
Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other
3 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Yes, that is the shahadah, the testimonial to faith. The full thing is, "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God." :) 

The Qur'an has been perfectly preserved, so unlike the Bible, it can be trusted to contain ONLY God's word. The Bible is an important part of history, culture, and religious understanding. It contains divine wisdom too. However, since it has inaccuracies, we cannot trust it 100%, which is why the Qur'an is so important. :)

Nevertheless, the Bible (both the Old Testament and the New Testament) contain important messages and divinely-revealed truths, if one can separate superstition and fantasy from God's original word. 

Haha, no worries, it's okay! :)

on Nov. 15 2011 at 4:22 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
10 articles 2 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

cause thats liek the whole "proffesion of faith" thing isn't it?

And do you only read the Koran or is the bible, since it talks about jesus, incorperated in your religon?

sorry i am asking so many questions.I am writing a report and its interesting to hear this stuff from someone who like really is a muslim and not just some book or website. :D