The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism | Teen Ink

The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

January 20, 2010
By clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty


Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?



















Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.





Works Cited
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 347 comments.


on Apr. 24 2011 at 1:09 am

And before you answer my question above Persona, remember the First Law of Thermodynamics. It states that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So the matter could not have gotten there from nothing, because it cannot be created from nothing.

Those that believe in God believe that he exists outside of time and therefor can create matter. Evolution with the first law cannot happen.


on Apr. 24 2011 at 1:01 am
Persona, how did the matter get there? You said it yourself that the universe was condensed ball of matter but how did the matter get there? If there is not a Creator, the matter had to have gotten there somehow.

on Apr. 24 2011 at 12:58 am

Earlybird, just because we are getting taller because of better nutrition does not mean we are evolving. And not everyone is tall. I'm below average height for my age, does that mean I'm not as evolved? Or what about little people, does that mean they are not as evolved as other people?

Evolution is so stupid it is not even funny.


on Apr. 24 2011 at 12:32 am
I agree with clusmy_one123. Science is basically what can be proven by observing and seeing. You can not observe evolution. Nobody has seen a monkey turn into a human. Or one species give birth to a totally different species. Therefor, its not really a science and show not be taught in school.

on Apr. 24 2011 at 12:29 am

Thats great creationist! I've tried to explain to people that Lucy and Nebraska man have been proven false or hoaxed but they won't listen.

I think all people who are skeptical of evolution and demand that it be taken out of the school or at least teach creation science as an alternative.


on Apr. 24 2011 at 12:20 am

Wonderful! Really wonderful article! I'm so glad I'm not the only teen in America who is skeptical about evolution. Evolution was a theory, and still is a theory, created by men who didn't believe in a god and therefor needed there own version of how the world was made. Fun fact: 95% of scientists in America are atheists, so of course they're going to be biased.

Psalm 118:8 "It is better trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

 


creationist said...
on Feb. 28 2011 at 8:05 pm
yeah, a lot of theories given to prove evolution have been proven wrong. The Nebraska man, Lucy...every single "missing link" evolutionist come up with have been proven false. The Nebraska man's tooth they found to "prove his existence" was found to be that of an extinct pig; Lucy's bones said to be found all in the same place were actually found in some odd numbers of miles, another missing link was actually a elderly man with arthritis. Much of evolution has been falsified and proven false, yet no one has shown me proof of Creation being false.

on Feb. 27 2011 at 6:13 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

thats not true. lots of things can be proven scientifically. i would say that it's going a little too extreme to say nothing can be proven scientifically. 

on Feb. 27 2011 at 6:11 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

yeah those are called aquired traits i believe. i dont remember who came up with it, but he thought giraffes had long necks bc they had to stretch to reach leaves in trees, and then they passed this trait on to their children. thankfully someone realized how silly this was and it was proved untrue.

creationist said...
on Feb. 24 2011 at 7:49 pm

Your welcome :)

and sorry: You are not born with a tan simply because your parent's have a tan.


on Feb. 21 2011 at 3:04 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

thank you thank you thank you! :)

creationist said...
on Feb. 21 2011 at 10:25 am

That's not how different skin tones work. Blacks are not Black because they are in the sun longer and Whites are not White because we're never in the sun. If that's how it worked then why are Blacks born Black and Whites born White? You are born with a tan because your parents have a tan.

It's called melanin. Each of us have certain genes (AA, BB, Aa, Bb, aa, bb) each representing a skin tone. When Adam and Eve were created, they had the genes Aa Bb, meaning they had what's called Middle Brown skin tone; meaning when they had children, their children were born with AA, BB, aa, bb, Ab, ba ect.

We each have these genes. But as time passed and Blacks began marrying Blacks and Whites and Whites, it meant that the genes given from the parents began remaining the same: AA, BB, aa, bb and sometimes there are ab, ba, AB ect. meaning a Black may be born much lighter than their parents or a White born much darker.

We're all humans. Skin tones is not the same as monkeys and humans being genetically different.

Answers in Genisis: Where Did the Races Come from?-Ken Ham


Oozeworld said...
on Feb. 17 2011 at 4:44 pm
Oozeworld, Reno, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever they offer you, don't feed the plants!"

Technically, nothing can be proven scientifically.  Should we stop teaching anything at all?

In my opinion, the biggest deception in this argument is the false delimma wherein arguing against creationism automatically means arguing for atheism.


on Jan. 28 2011 at 4:24 pm
KatreenaMarie PLATINUM, Fresno, California
32 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We will fight, or we will fall, until the angels save us all"
Hollywood Undead

Evolution is possible. On a small scale, evolution is known as adaptation. Apes and Humans are of different species, yes, but does that mean that Blacks and Whites are of different species too? When people split off into diffferent regions of the world, people in sunny climates grew darker skinned to protect themselves from the sun, whereas people in snowy and cold climates didn't need to grow darker because the sun wasn't beating down on them. Therefore, evolution is possible.

on Jan. 27 2011 at 4:38 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

thank you so much! :)

on Jan. 2 2011 at 5:49 pm
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
8 articles 1 photo 170 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

i agree with you. thanks for calling out all those people :)

jemter GOLD said...
on Jan. 1 2011 at 6:31 am
jemter GOLD, Oakley, California
14 articles 36 photos 33 comments

i'm not sure how you were taught, but i just want to say that where i went to school, they taught it not as a fact itself, but as a subject that must be learned. they even made a point of saying that you didn't need to belive or even think about it outside of class, you just simply needed to learn it. same goes for all the creationism that i was taught. yes. i go to a public school, and they were teaching me about the practices of many creationism religions. so i'm not sure how my school is any diferent then yours...

i dont know. that's just strange.


Sylvia BRONZE said...
on Nov. 5 2010 at 5:40 pm
Sylvia BRONZE, London, Other
3 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love thy neighbour"

Ok, can I just point a few things out: 

1. There are a lot of people who are posting things about how this entire paper is wrong/that you can prove evolution/that to believe that God created the Universe is rubbish etc. and just swan off without even bothering to say why. That is not an argument. That's a disagreement disguising itself as an argument.

2. More than one person has claimed that the Bible is fiction. More than one person has claimed that creationism cannot be proved, but evolution can. Well, prove it. Give me proof that the Bible isn't real at all. Give me tangible proof of evolution. Prove that evolution is more provable than creationism, even though we weren't present to witness either of these things. Not evidence, but proof. There is a great difference between the two.


on Oct. 15 2010 at 10:24 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

People are getting taller because of better nutrition and living conditions. We also evolved from a long-extinct primate, not chimpanzees.

on Oct. 9 2010 at 9:55 am
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other
4 articles 0 photos 115 comments

Favorite Quote:
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't evolve from monkeys, however we share a common ancestor with monkeys and great apes. Evolution comes from mutations in DNA making some individuals more capable of reproducing and passing on those mutations, so millions of years ago there was one ape-ancestor who was able to walk more upright and could gather more food that way, making him/her better able to produce more offspring. These offspring all carried the walk-upright gene, and they passed it on, and on, etc. People didn't start walking upright after one generation, of course, but it was incremental. What Dr. Lenski showed was that DNA changes can be passed down from generation to generation, eventually creating new species.