Teen Leadership | Teen Ink

Teen Leadership

By Tizzle211 BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Tizzle211 BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Today’s youth face many challenges to self-empowerment. Only through self-determination can today’s youth eventually achieve leadership in their communities. Young adults should be given the opportunity to practice what they learn such as being responsible for designing, organizing, and creating their own ideas. Youth leadership implies a broader involvement. We need to encourage youth to pursue their own interests and help them become involved into their local communities. Ultimately the growth of young leaders in society will improve and benefit the lives of generations to come, and help shape the outcome of the future that lies ahead.

Per the National Alliance for Secondary Education and Transition, youth leadership development encourages healthy adolescent growth by providing young people the ability to analyze their own strengths and weaknesses; to set personal goals and vocational goals, and to gain self-esteem, confidence, motivation and abilities to carry out these goals. I believe certain characteristics are important and stand out in those we view as leaders. I also believe teens that present these leadership qualities give a fresh perspective as role models for today’s youth. In my opinion the important characteristics displaying a leader include being proactive, being motivational, having confidence, and having courage.

Leaders who want to make a lasting impact should strive for a proactive, rather than reactive approach to leadership. Proactive leaders take responsibility in their roles by staying engaged and being cooperative. Proactive leaders are inspirational, and peers look up to them as they are hardworking and enthusiastic. Proactive leaders tend to be calm thinkers and can stay focused under pressure to make the right decisions. They get the ball rolling and take charge to get things accomplished. Therefore, being proactive defines leaders among us.
Motivational leadership starts with motivation within yourself. You must set goals to keep working towards something. Motivated leaders are willing to take risks. They are persistent and never give up until they succeed. Motivators rise above the small hurdles to achieve greatness in their lives. They are willing to jump in and take things on with great energy to finish the task at hand. More importantly this characteristic influences the actions of others, in which motivators can get people to jump on board with the same positive attitude towards accomplishing something.

We all hear stories about courage. When were young we view courage as coming from superheroes, taking down the bad guys. Nowadays, it means being a leader. Courageous leaders lead with change. They envision a better way, a better solution and a positive change. They approach things with determination and an open mind. Leaders possessing courage face reality head on, and stand on their beliefs no matter how scary it may seem. Only by knowing the truth and currant state can you lead others to a better place. Therefore, leadership takes courage.

Confidence is key to leadership. You can teach a leader to do many things, yet, without believing in themselves, it can’t be called true leadership. As a confident leader, you never put people down. You’re not afraid to show your own insecurities or fault others for theirs. Having confidence means your actions are based on your beliefs and having strong feeling for what you stand for. Confident leaders avoid self-promotion and feel comfortable being themselves. This confidence should shine so others can feel confident in themselves and what they are about. Confidence should be contagious.

An estimated 55 percent of youth ages 12 to 18 participate in volunteer activities; the teen volunteering rate is nearly twice the adult volunteering rate of 29 percent per the Corporation for National and Community Service. Helgeson & Schneider, 2015 stated “It is clear from the current political and social landscape that youth today crave recognition as equal contributors in shaping a just society.” So, you may be wondering how you can become involved, make your voice heard and stand out as a teen leader? A few ideas may include leading a youth group, volunteering with in the community or assisting in charity fundraising. You could also volunteer at a Boys and Girls Club or volunteer to coach a sports team for younger children. These are all ways to service the community and gain leadership skills influencing those around you. Be a leader at school by joining a club, or candidate for school office, or being involved in peer mediation. Help your fellow students achieve their goals and have a positive influence on those around you. Perhaps you could start small, making a difference at home. Help with responsibilities, and planning family activities. Attempt building better relationships with your parents and siblings, and be a positive role model.

Becoming a teen leader can start small and turn into great achievements. Be a young mind who is active in society by being proactive, being motivated, having courage and confidence. Stand out and be heard by sharing your opinions, beliefs and engaging in bettering your community. Influence others to join and become leaders and put your imprint on society. Be the best version of you and help shape the minds of future generations. Becoming a teen leader may be the most important thing you could do, because you’re never too young to change the world.

Ways to become a teen leader, influence others and shape the world.