Age Boundaries | Teen Ink

Age Boundaries

April 6, 2016
By dfayard BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
dfayard BRONZE, Gulfport, Mississippi
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!"


The constant quarrel between America’s young population and the corresponding adults may not strike you as an immediate problem. When you think about things that are troubling the country today, these issues are not the first that come to your mind. However, this problem is the foundation for many others.


I am tired of being silenced by the hands of those who don’t wish to hear my opinions simply because of my age. I am growing weary of screaming to get a word in. My feet hurt because of the inane truth that I have to walk the extra mile to get my point across. People refuse to take my opinions seriously because of my unfortunate assumed “childishness”; my additions to the conversations are ignored and talked over by those of “more experience.”


The role models of people my age are those years and years older than them; and when people that are, in fact, around our age are over influenced, media zombies whom are sexualized and pressured into saying things that the public “wants to hear.”


The adolescent population of the United States is crying for a chance to be heard; begging for attention, yelling for an input. And still, the reason we suffer and have yet to participate in society’s practices is simple: our throats are too sore to continue to yell out for attention.


The author's comments:

I feel like teens and tweens of the normal community rarely have a chance to speak out for what is right, so I wrote this piece to state my opinion and hopefully sympathize with others.