It's Amazing the Difference a Minute Can Make | Teen Ink

It's Amazing the Difference a Minute Can Make

June 30, 2014
By Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Jackies63 SILVER, Sandy Hook, Connecticut
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Start where you are. Use what you can. Do what you can"
-Arthur Ashe


As I was becoming upset with my dad for being late for picking me up at the library, I saw an elderly woman carrying a pile of boxes. I was brought up well, so I rushed to help her with her boxes. “Do you need any help?”
The woman practically fell over with shock; she looked baffled that I asked if I could help with such a minimal task. She stood there gaping for at least two seconds, and then she broke into the widest smile I had ever seen. “Yes, please. That would be amazing”.
I grabbed a few boxes and preceded to her car, the whole time the woman consistently thanked me. It was surprising to me that my one minute of time meant so much to her. Over and over, I said its no problem, I happy to help; however she kept thanking me. When we put the boxes in her trunk she hugged me and said “God Bless you”.
At that point, I had started to think, why was this such a big deal? I was even slightly confused by her last comment, I only helped her for a minute, is that deserving of a blessing from God? Society has come to a disappointing lack of politeness, this was something everyone should have done, and I think most would have. It just goes to show how much you can affect someone’s day, and I have learned that the slightest offering means a great deal to most.


The author's comments:
I hope people will take one minute out of their day, every day to help someone else. No matter how silly it may seem.