Peace | Teen Ink

Peace

If peace were actually what so many people imagine it to be, we would all be living in a utopia. Death by terror and destruction would only be figures of our imagination. Believing in peace is what we do so we feel a sense of comfort, but with the type of world we live in today, complete peace is impossible. Peace does not have to be on such a large scale though. If people today stopped focusing on such a large picture, they would realize that peace can be found on a smaller scale. Mother Teresa expressed her view of peace and love by saying “I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?” Neighbors are some of the closest people to us, and we do not even notice it. Times when we finally communicate with our neighbors are normally few and far between, and most of the time it is when we have a problem with them. Peace like this is always overlooked. How come people are always looking for peace in mainstream problems and are never satisfied with their own small problems? Being a student just starting highschool, everything is always about everyone else's problems. The new gossip is always “Omg, did you hear he just broke up with her? Did you hear she is failing math and now she cannot be a cheerleader?” For just five seconds, we should stop thinking about everyone else and look at ourselves first. Maybe the larger problems would be fixed if we fixed the smaller problems. Starting small and then expanding larger is always what people advise you to do, so why do we not apply this to peace?