Suicide: A Growing Problem in Society | Teen Ink

Suicide: A Growing Problem in Society

By brittanyinheaven BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
brittanyinheaven BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois

"Sometimes you gotta fall before you fly" -Sleeping With Sirens

Suicide: A Growing Problem in Society
In today’s society, suicide continues to be a major problem, especially in teens. In addition, social media sometimes glamorizes the idea of suicide. Suicide is not painless, or romantic. It is a serious issue today, and is related to mental illnesses such as depression. If you struggle with suicidal thoughts, or depression, you should seek help. No matter how big or small the symptoms are, there is nothing wrong with asking for help. Suicide is a major issue in our society today and must not go unnoticed.

Every 80 seconds, someone attempts suicide. Every 100 minutes, a life is taken by suicide (Giddens 12). Suicide rates are rising, and will continue to rise unless society takes action to better understand and treat this epidemic. Everyone is at risk to commit suicide, not just a certain type of people. If someone you know talks about committing suicide, you should always take it seriously. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in teens. Though this is unfortunate, there is no way to completely prevent all suicides. We can, however, raise awareness in order to lower suicide rates. Committing suicide is never the answer and should never even be an option. This is such an important issue today because not everyone who struggles with suicidal thoughts is willing to seek help. It makes seeking help more difficult because it is harder to tell who or who isn’t struggling with these issues. A lot of people with suicidal thoughts are not always sad. Successful and happy people have these thoughts too. Those are stereotypes, and have gotten worse with the advent of social media.
Many organizations are available today to prevent suicides. Suicide is never the answer, and things will always get better, so why give up before that? More organizations are created to prevent suicides rather than the other way around. When teens have suicidal thoughts or depression, they think that no one cares to hear what they are feeling or what they have to say, they feel isolated. This is why talking can make all the difference. For most people struggling with this, it is very difficult to ask for help, but asking for help is the best place to start in order to recover. Recovery doesn’t happen in one day, or overnight. It all depends on the person, it could take weeks, months, and recovery can even be a lifetime process. Recovery won’t happen unless you admit that you need help, and that you have a problem. It’s very difficult sometimes, but it’s worth it.

Furthermore, everyone is at risk to commit suicide, and you shouldn’t say that only certain people are able to have suicidal thoughts. It doesn’t matter who you are, suicide is never the answer, and help is always available. When people have suicidal thoughts, they think negatively, and think that nothing will be okay, but if you just ask for help there are always people who are willing to listen. Social media is, a lot of times, insensitive to the topic. It is a serious matter and people shouldn’t make it seem okay.

markyyyy said...
markyyyy, Newark, Colorado
this is stupid more kids need to kill themselves for population control.

markyyyy said...
markyyyy, Newark, Colorado
fu niych

PRO_GAMER said...
on Mar. 6 2018 at 7:42 am
Is this a problem solution essay ?
Pls answer

ky_dot said...
on May. 19 2016 at 11:30 am
ky_dot, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
totally made me sad asf

KittyStyles15,
I'm doing a problem-solution essay right now on this... It's so sad. Every 80 seconds, someone attempts suicide. Every 100 seconds, someone commits suicide. :(

lollipop9877 said...
Is this basically an problem-solution essay on suicide?