Feedback to Youth Lack Life Skills | Teen Ink

Feedback to Youth Lack Life Skills

By Joyce Xu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Joyce Xu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

I agree with Brielle Black’s point of view in the November issue of Teen Ink. Her article, “Youth Lack Life Skills,” discussed the lack of life skills in the youth today. I completely agree with the points given in this article. Brielle talks about the youth in today’s society and how they are completely absorbed in being a good student. They are oblivious to the fact that manner and proper etiquette still exist. In this generation, schools don’t provide lessons on life and skills to create confidence and reliance. “In the long run, a student’s ACT and SAT score is not everything,” Brielle says in her article. I find this to be true because being only “book-smart” isn’t going to land you a job in the real world. For overachieving students, surviving after college is difficult.

Brielle’s argument that a student’s family life can affect this lack of life lessons is true to me. Many students have families that are separated or not a strong bond with their relatives. Before, parents taught students these important lessons, but now they are always working. To improve this deficiency in valuable knowledge, schools should create classes that aim to teach students the life skills they might not learn at home or from their peers. This will help them in the future with college applications, job interviews, and others.