When I grow up... | Teen Ink

When I grow up...

April 11, 2012
By AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
AnnabelLee423 SILVER, Somewhere, Other
6 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.


When I was five years old, my mother told me that happiness is the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life. John Lennon
So, is that the answer? We are going to be happy? Ok, Of course I don’t have a problem with that, but… I remember when I was five years old all of the girls in my class wanted to be ballerinas, or princesses. And our boys, footballers. Luckily we changed our minds, or else the whole world would be covered by football courts or palaces.
Yeah, we changed our minds, but have we come to a decision yet? Well, maybe the other guys have, but I haven’t. I could never in my fifteen years find the perfect job, the one that is made for me or that will fulfill my dreams. One year, I wanted to be a ballerina. The other, a nurse. The year after, a hairdresser. A singer, a teacher, an author, a medical examiner, a criminologist…. I myself got tired!
And now the time has come. The time to take a serious decision. Which path will I follow at High Scholl? Am I supposed to choose the theoretical lessons, like History, Latin etc, or maybe Maths, Science, Chemistry…? How can I be sure about what I’m going to do in the future? Why everyone puts so much pressure on me? My parents, my school, my society… And ok, let’s assume that I take a decision. I decide what to study. The thing that occurs is where to study. In my country? In my country, which is rumored to “eat” its children? Well, thank you for the “bright” future! Thank you for the opportunity!!
In fact my “temporary” dream –and I insist in “temporary”- is to study at Harvard University. I think I have concluded in Physics, but this can change easily… Or study Forensic Science at Cambridge University in order to become a CSI. Yes, TV really affects us. Anyway, back to my problem… How am I supposed to go at these universities when I cannot afford them? I allow you to call me a bighead, but I don’t want something less than that. For now at least…
Did I say too much? Well, the last thing I want to say through my little boring story is that: I have a dream. I want to achieve something in my life. I want to be “happy”. Please, society, I’m begging, don’t ruin it… And because I started with a quote, I’ll end with one, too.
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. Walt Disney