Hand in Hand | Teen Ink

Hand in Hand

By Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other
Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has. ~Margaret Mead

At our age, it feels as though we alone can end world hunger, as if we alone can bring peace to the world. We believe that the world can be controlled and helped by one person alone-- and that person is ourselves. It doesn't matter that there were thousands of others in the course of history who tried--and failed-- to single-handedly change the world, we are the martyrs that create miracles and break the cycle of history. Invincibility is the superpower of the young.

Well, the truth it that we can change the world. We, as a generation, as a people, and not you or me alone. If we start looking out for the world, instead of looking out only for ourselves, maybe we can end the current occurence of carelessness, tyranny, and corruption. This may fall on many of your ears as a naive view, but we must realize that we are the world! The leaders of the world are not some famous, faraway individuals on the television-- you are the world's leader. So let's begin leading.

Just because we're in high school, just because we don't have a master's degree yet, it doesn't mean that we can't start leading our generation now, today.
Express yourself today, not tomorrow. Whether it's writing, drawing, going to rallies, whatever you can do-- do it!

The time has come for each of us to take our neighbor's hand and build a new world--together.

We can change the world only if we stand together, not against each other.