barbie girls | Teen Ink

barbie girls

By Shinjitsu-san SILVER, Beavercreek, Ohio
Shinjitsu-san SILVER, Beavercreek, Ohio

i never wanted to be like barbie.
it wasn't a conscious decision for me. it just made sense. why would i want to be like someone who could only smile, whose life was perfect? i didn't want a perfectly chiseled body, nails that never needed manicures, hair in which a strand never fell out of place. i didn't desire the ability to do everything perfectly, no matter how hard i tried. then there'd be nothing to strive for, nothing to improve. i didn't want a bust so large i'd have to crawl, like barbie if she were real.
some girls have never come to this realization. their body is everything, perfection the key. who they are rests in the size of their thighs, the way they style their hair, the clothes they wear. they crave the impossible-no, inhuman-appearance of others, a perfection forever out of reach.
but why?
they number on the scale-the force of gravity-will always disappoint. some jeans will never fit. what society has told us is a lie: perfectly does not exist.
maybe barbie has only ever wanted...to be flawed, like you and me.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I must agree... you are very sensible in your desires, my friend. The 'barbie' is perfect; accordingly she is infinitetly imperfect.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You have some very sensible and philosophical views on these things, awesome article!!