Human by Habit | Teen Ink

Human by Habit

By Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut
Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

Why do people like habits, don’t they ever consider what their life stories will be like?
The responsible people go to work everyday, pay their bills and live in their houses.
The irresponsible ignore their bills, never work and live where ever they can hang their hats. The normal people do both, they work some of the time, pay their bills most of the time and occasionally leave their houses. Some think travel will solve their problem, but they only end up back in a house, paying some sort of bills and doing something for work. The lucky have their bills paid for them, never work and make their home where ever they want. What I don’t understand is why people always obsess over the same things, money, a house, a car, their job. When not concerned about their stuff they talk of their friend, their families, their relations, and the lives of others. People define themselves by their jobs, homes and vacations; they find status in their stuff their relations and their knowledge. I wonder how many take the time to find themselves, what is talent do they have, what is their calling? People find solace and meaning in religion and stories, they never look the one place that meaning is most likely to be, in themselves. I think further and wonder how is it we can even understand ourselves at all? How can we perceive something if we cannot reach it? At some point in our lives most of us wonder if there is anything greater than us, are there other things out there like us? Why would we be able to ask if there wasn’t some way to reach the answers, if there wasn’t a being more power than us then why wouldn’t we feel superior as we appear to be? If the answer is that there is nothing greater than us then why would we even possess the power to ask the question, are humans all that unconfident in themselves? When we know we are the most powerful, why do we still fear that there is something we can’t overcome; even the greatest of us do fear that we will one day reach an impossible challenge. We can see our history and see that when ever a challenge came our way, we succeeded and overcame it. On any scale this happens, a doctor fears a routine surgery, a speaker the crowd before them, a driver the road. We as a society know that we can do anything we set our minds to and yet we get caught up in the smallest detail; the greatest nations agree to peace but can’t figure out how to word it. We find a solution to our power and food issues, but we get caught up in the money, and the host. Is it possible that we are so blinded by our habits and details that we can’t see that there what is keeping us form answering the questions we all ask? Why is it that no matter how many times we are shown, told and experience this, none of us has the sense to just simply control ourselves and say, this is for the change to do something more with my life, to leave a legacy. When will we learn that it is us together that is greater than the sum of our parts, when we act as one we act as the most powerful entity ever conceived. Failure is only a lack of effort, cooperation, and the wisdom to look at one’s true talent; not the discovery of an impossibility.