Some Technology | Teen Ink

Some Technology

January 12, 2010
By Ryan Leiss SILVER, Houston, Texas
Ryan Leiss SILVER, Houston, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Are we really taking a step forward in today’s twenty-first-century technology, or are we stepping backwards when it comes to present-day communication? There is an ongoing argument as to whether technology increases or diminishes people’s social skills. Today’s technology is very convenient, but people’s addiction to the technology is causing very poor and awkward social skills.

First of all it is important for young children to develop good social skills at a young age. But with kids taking these online classes they are denied these skills. Even “though new technologies may be a solution to the learning subjects, they work against the learning of what are called social values” (Postman 1). You see if a kindergarten student goes to a normal school, not an online classroom, he or she will develop these skills. Why, you might ask? It is because in kindergarten a student learns to “share everything, play fair, don’t hit people, put things back where you found them, clean up your own mess, wash your hands before you eat, and, of course, flush” (Postman 1). Now it takes more than just one year to be able to do these skills, but these skills teaches us manners and morals. Manners and morals our one part into being able to be social. Also if you go to an online school you don’t have any in person classmates, but if you go to a regular school you have many classmates, which allows you to talk and socialize in person.

Now, we all know that iPods are one of the greatest technological devices ever and some people even say that they unite people together (Harris 1). However, the reality is that iPods have a terrible effect on our social skills. The problem with the iPod is that it “preoccupies you so you are no longer obligated to interact…” with the people around you (Song 1). For example, say you get on the bus that is taking you on your first mission trip. You don’t know anybody, so you sit by yourself and listen to your iPod, not attempting to make any new friends. This happens all the time, and it just keeps you away from knowing and having fun with people. IPods are huge distractions from conversations, and today, more and more people do this.

Some people say that the internet can be used to “make it easier to keep in touch with friends” and have “ongoing relationships” (Coget 1). It is also said that the “internet can foster openness, self-confidence, and a greater sense of ease and comfort in dealing with others” (Coget 1). This is a faulty analogy. You can’t compare face-to-face relationships with online ones. If you are online you can’t see the person’s body language, eye lingo, and verbal expressions. You just cannot get enough out online relationships. Then people’s counterargument to that statement is that they could show emotions through words (Coget). Not really because they could take the emotion the wrong way or not understand. Online relationships just don’t work very well.

People these days are getting addicted to technology and it needs to stop. We are spending way too much on the computer than going outside or actually getting something useful done. Instead of getting caught up in the “negative influence” of technology we should be spending more time with family and friends because that is what life is about.