Should Zoos Exist? | Teen Ink

Should Zoos Exist?

June 8, 2021
By Chawei13 SILVER, Apo, Other
Chawei13 SILVER, Apo, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you go to the zoo, do you ever see animals that are pacing in their cage, looking sad, or hurting themselves? Some animals experience serious health conditions that would not normally happen in the wild. Many habitats in zoos are not prepared to take care of their animals, which can lead to animals getting hurt, or living a shorter life span. Zoos can be a dangerous place for animals, which is why zoos should not exist.

Some animals do not cope well with being in a cage. Animals who harm themselves, pace back and forth, or do something repetitive may have Zoochosis. Zoochosis is when an animal will act in an unusual way due to being in captivity. According to Above The Noise, large cats will pace back and forth in their cages, and this shows the large cats are trying to cope with boredom and a small enclosure. (Above the Noise) Studies show Elephants in captivity live a shorter life span than they would have in the wild. This is usually because of high-stress levels.

    Although most zoos try to provide animals a suitable environment, most of the environments for the animals can be harmful to them. According to the Pros and Cons of Zoos, elephants will live a shorter life due to their environment. Elephants are used to living in large groups, but in zoos, they are usually put with only one other elephant. This can cause stress, which leads to a shorter lifespan. At the Chicago Zoo, an entire stingray population was lost because of the low oxygen in their tanks. This happened two times, and after the second time, they closed the exhibit. (Pros and Cons of Zoos)    

Although zoos have many bad qualities, they can be a good place for animals.

Many endangered species have been saved by zoos. For example, in 1982 there were only 22 California Condor birds, but the San Diego and Los Angeles zoos bred them, and today there are almost 300 birds. Most animals in zoos are found in the wild, stranded or hurt. Zoos nurse the animals back to health and give them a home. Zoos are a good learning experience for young and old. Over the last 20 years, zoos and aquariums have written 5,000 papers on animals.

    Although zoos have saved many endangered species, many animals that are bred in captivity and released into the wild die shortly after they are freed. This is because they never developed their natural instincts. Even though zoos provide a good learning experience, most signs provide little information and they are usually overlooked. Zoos will give animals a new home, but being in captivity can affect the animals in a harmful way.   

    In conclusion, zoos have many good qualities, but they have many more bad qualities. Because habitats in zoos are not prepared to take care of their animals, some animals will be hurt. Also, some animals are not able to cope with being in an enclosure. Since some zoos cannot properly care for their animals, people who have been going to zoos should begin to go to animal sanctuaries instead.

 

 

 

Works Cited


Above The Noise. “Are Zoos Good or Bad for Animals?” YouTube, 24 Sept. 2019, www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DlBJlahU1g.


“Discovery World - Animals || The Pros and Cons of Zoos.” YouTube, 29 Nov. 2015,     www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH8gOiD3lPc.

“E-Book Reader.” My.Hrw.Com, my.hrw.com/content/hmof/language_arts/hmhcollections2017/na/gr6/ese_9780544570733_/index.html?page=CR63. Accessed 22 Apr. 2020.