Why we don't live in peace and reasons to solve the problem | Teen Ink

Why we don't live in peace and reasons to solve the problem

December 15, 2020
By hurshbrianna BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
hurshbrianna BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine the world we could live in if everyone could be peaceful and respectful. Why do we not live in peace? Can we solve those problems? I think we can not live in peace because people believe that when others view situations differently that they cannot get along. I am here to show you that is completely wrong. For example, I believe that no matter which party you voted for in the election, you should be able to sit down and have a movie night or play board games regardless of your political beliefs. In a CNN article a person says, “The fear and pain so many people in America feel right now as a result of the pandemic, police brutality, economic instability, and intense partisanship is being exploited.” People in the world today are constantly living in fear because of the negativity that is thrown at such people as soon as they walk out of their door. If everyone could accept that fact that not every opinion has to be the same, Americans would not have to fear or be in pain. Just because you believe change is good, or change is bad, does not mean that we have to hate each other. 

Your opinion does not affect the person you are. If you can sit down and have a civil conversation with someone who believes things differently than you, you are a good person. For example, a good conversation could start with talking about your day and avoiding sticky topics that would arouse tension. What makes you a bad person is telling people that their opinion is wrong or does not matter. You should never exclude a person in a conversation just because they think the opposite of you.  Anyone would be offended and hurt if someone did that to them. No matter how corny the statement “treat others the way you want to be treated” is, it is true and should be listened to. You can always think a person's opinion is wrong. What would make me a hypocrite saying that you cannot think what you want to think. You should approach your opinion in a respectful way. 

I am trying to show that everyone in this world could live in peace if we do not disrespect each other's opinion. You can always have your own opinion, that is different from others. If you can simply just live to love, not hate, and everyone’s heart be filled with love, the world would be a much better place. People who are hateful are a main reason why there is so much negativity in this world. Another reason to help this problem is to be tolerant of other people. When being tolerant you are showing willingness to allow the idea of another opinion even if you don’t agree with the opinion. If everyone in this world could just tolerate other people's point of view we could live in a much better world. It’s even worse now that there is social media because all you have to do is click “send/post” and just like that your words are broadcasted to millions of people who can criticize you or tear you down. In an article by Alyson Klein she says, “And more than half of U.S. students surveyed—56 percent—say technology and social media are tearing us apart more than they are bringing people together." Even other kids believe that social media is tearing us apart. Social media increases the anxiety and stress of highschool students causing them to act out on platforms. In an article with an anonymous writer, it says, “When students have anxiety and depression that goes unnoticed their mental health is at risk, which can lead to social and behavioral problems, poor performance and learning, neglected hygiene, poor self care practices and low self esteem.” This is why I also believe we can not live in peace. Students mental health problems go unnoticed and unbelieved causing students to act out. Everyone would be a much happier and positive person if one more person would sit down with them and talk. Maybe if one person in each school sat down with students who have anxiety and/or stress, then the world could possibly get better and better.  


The author's comments:

I strongly believe that people could live in peace if we could learn to respect others opinions. In this article I am trying to show my audience that we could all live in peace if we actually gave it a try. Learn to love, not hate.