Anti-Anti-Vax | Teen Ink

Anti-Anti-Vax

By Starbot BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Starbot BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

We’ve all heard it, “Vaccines are dangerous” and “Vaccines cause autism” but is there any proof to that? No, many a study has been published disproving any link to autism and although there are some dangers to vaccines they are rare and unhidden. Most of this entire anti-vax thing come from one disproved pre-2000 study. The people with these anti-vax groups are a small minority but through the power of social media they have made themselves look bigger then they are and it is having a negative effect on people looking for information. Some of these people have branched out from just misinformation campaigns to targeting and harrassing people who speak out against them and parents whose kids have died from vaccine preventable diseases. Now i’m not saying that all of these type of people are like this, some are just victims of misinformation and have no way to access the truth.

The effects of vaccines have helped us increase the average age and decrease disease fatality rates. While when vaccines were first introduced they used a live virus we now use a dead virus so there are less risks. So let me take one of the biggest argument away from the anti-vaxxers, nothing is completely safe all things come with risks and vaccines are no different but does that mean you’re going to not allow your child to go outside because he might fall and break his leg? It is acceptable to watch for bad things to happen so you can be read to help but preventing them from doing anything altogether to avoid the risk entirely is not at all acceptable to me.