The Guide to Being a Good Citizen | Teen Ink

The Guide to Being a Good Citizen

By lorainnedelrosario BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
lorainnedelrosario BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

Whether it be a school policy that you and your peers don’t agree with or an unjust law that must be changed, it is up to us, the youth, to step up and take action. Where there is clear injustice, there is an opportunity for one to take a stance and challenge its stature. Having an understanding of not only what benefits your life, but what benefits the lives of others aids in deciding how to act upon injustice. We must take up civil and moral responsibilities. That is what being a good citizen is, and what we all must aspire to be.

Take inspiration from the “March for our Lives” movement. Far too many tragedies are happening with school shootings without meaningful action taken by political figures. Students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School took it upon themselves to fight inadequate political support and in turn, gained a mass following and involvement of youth in their fight.

Our fight.

Stay active in the community you live in! When you are an active member of your community, you can then connect with the people around you, spend time without payback or compensation, and build a reputation for yourself. Being active has been known to “increase self-confidence” as you are “doing good for others and the community, which provides a natural sense of accomplishment”, giving you a ”sense of pride and identity” (Help Guide). The more help we put out into the universe, the happier we feel! It may seem difficult to find opportunities to be involved as a teen, but there are so many things you could do. You could clean out your closet and donate clothes you don’t use. Gather a group of friends and neighbors and pick up litter at a local park. Tutor students at your school. These are just some of many examples of how to give back in your community and help others around you. But you don’t have to start an entire movement to be considered an “involved citizen”.

Portraying good citizenship comes hand in hand with being a genuine person with our own set of morals. Say you’re walking down the street and you drop your gum wrapper. Do you pick it up and recycle it or just leave it there to pollute the environment? If you really want a Kylie Jenner Lip Kit but your mom won’t buy it for you, do you just steal it anyway? Hopefully these answers are “No”. Keeping your friend’s secret when they trust you to do so, telling the truth when there’s a temptation to lie and being willingly dependable are all representations of having our own morals. These are decisions we make on a day to day basis, which determine the state of our morality and whether or not we’re qualified to be a good citizen.

Be a role model for others to look up to, an example of someone with prestige and dignity. Encourage others to follow in your footsteps, not necessarily to follow you blindly, but to take inspiration from your character and actions. Hold the door for the person behind you, tip your waiters, follow The Golden Rule! In a country that relies on the voice of the people, doing your part is important in order to maintain the role of citizens. All it takes to be a good citizen is having a solid, reputable character and the rest will follow.

I am a junior at Salem High School and am looking to go into politics and criminal justice when I'm older!