Lifestyle: US vs. Mexico | Teen Ink

Lifestyle: US vs. Mexico

Rocky roads, muddy shoes. Paved roads, clean shoes. Life in America in my eyes, is very different compared to Mexico’s. Which is better? Who knows? That’s up to you and the type of person you are. I have the privilege to come and go to Mexico, whereas some people don’t. I was born in Chicago, IL. and have grown up here as well. My parents were born in Mexico, so would usually go to Mexico every year during the summer for about two months, but now as I’ve gotten older, I haven’t gone for almost two years. Which isn’t a lot, compared to others who don’t have the option to go at all. So I have lived both lifestyles, obviously 95 percent of the time I’ve lived here, but I can still say how I think they compare.

Here in the US we live in a huge city, Chicago one of the biggest, whereas, in Mexico we live in a small town called El Terrero in Guanajuato. The population size of the place makes a huge different because everyone in our small town know each other in some way. But here in Chicago, every day for the rest of your life you will see new faces because of the hundreds and thousands of people who live here. Because of this, I felt more safe whenever I would go on a vacation to Mexico because everyone knows each other. I wasn’t as scared to run into a stranger with bad intentions. On the other hand, here in the US you know that there is more than just a few people who have bad intentions, causing that person to not feel safe.

There is also more trust given in the sense of having freedom, for the reason that you know everyone in the town. When I was in Mexico, I would be out most of the days, just hanging out with friends I had since I was young. Usually there’s a group of us, just hanging out and having fun. We would go watch our town’s soccer team play in the soccer field, go and eat, mess around, and just have fun. There’s a difference in the trust given by my parents because I know here in Chicago, I would also go out and hangout with my friends a lot when I was in 8th grade, and a lot of the times I would get home late. My mom then began to tell me to stop coming home late because it’s not safe being out so late. As well as not letting me go out sometimes because I went out too much. So yeah, basically there’s more trust being in Mexico than in Chicago.

Another huge difference, is the environment that we live in. Here, we live in a city, surrounded by highways, factories, and skyscrapers. For the most part here it’s flat, the roads and sidewalks are fairly easy to travel through. Most places you’ll go you will use some sort of transportation to get from place to place. Whereas, in Mexico there isn’t sidewalks at all sometimes, and some of the roads are just rocks and dirt. Also, in Mexico there is a lot of hills, lots of grass, trees, plants, and wildlife. As well as most of the time you will be traveling by foot in the town.

This is the way I differentiate the Lifestyle in America and Mexico. The trust, freedom, and environment are some of the huge differences I see.  There are many other differences and others opinions but this is the way I see it.

This piece I wrote, was because I wanted to talk about my opinion and how I feel about the difference between the lifestyle in Mexico and the US. This is my opinion, and ofcourse there are others with different opinions but these are mine.