For Love or Money? | Teen Ink

For Love or Money? MAG

April 24, 2009
By Kaleigh Loeffler BRONZE, Heath, Texas
Kaleigh Loeffler BRONZE, Heath, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The popular television show “Eight Is Enough” aired in the late 1970s and fascinated viewers of all ages who followed the trials and tribulations of the Bradford brood, eight independent children headed by their father, Tom. In the last 30 years, doctors have created in vitro fertilization, a procedure for artificial impregnation, and as a result, the ­Gosselins, parents of a set of twins and sextuplets, became stars of TLC’s hit show “Jon & Kate Plus 8.”

The surge of reality shows, YouTube, and Facebook provides many with the ability to capture the eyes of the country and hear their name spoken around the world. However, parents should not seek stardom by having a large family, nor should they get a free pass in child rearing because they have more kids than most. The parents of this nation need to grow up, face the realities of parenthood, and assume the full ­responsibilities of child rearing.

When a couple wants to have a baby, they must consider whether that child will truly benefit from the life they can provide and whether they understand the responsibilities involved in raising a child. The recent case of Nadya ­Suleman, a mother of octuplets, shone a huge spotlight on the responsibility of parenting.

Unmarried, unemployed, and living in her mother’s home, she already had six children younger than eight, three of whom are disabled, and receives money from the state to care for them. When ­doctors announced that Suleman had given birth, through in vitro fertilization, to octuplets with pride and excitement – reporting that the delivery was “amazing” and the mom was “incredibly courageous” – the 46-member medical team expected praise and high-fives. Instead, jaws dropped and talk of her courage changed to questions about both her judgment and the doctors’, as well as the ethical concerns about fertility treatments.

Instead of the vital role of a father in their lives, these eight new babies have only a sperm donor. In addition, some publications reported that Suleman plans to use her fame to launch a tele­vision show. Though she denies claims that she is seeking fame, Suleman has employed a publicist and an agent. She says that all she wanted was babies, but one has to wonder if she was thinking of their need for comfort and love when she decided to have this many children.

In the United States, no one can dictate how many children families have. However, the country needs some sort of counseling, similar to the advice a ­doctor gives a patient who smokes three packs of cigarettes a day. They simply state the consequences of smoking before the damage appears and bluntly ask the patient to stop. If adults know that they will be ­incapable of or even unable to provide for the needs of children, then they should reconsider becoming parents.

In the case of Suleman and many others, the cost will be paid by the American taxpayer. Millions have been spent to care for her babies in the neonatal intensive care unit and supply her large family with diapers, blankets, and clothes. Realistically, Americans have a stake in the outcome, and we must not encourage a repetition of this by putting Suleman into the spotlight. Clearly, the necessary measures must be taken to ensure that parents’ reproductive rights – or media ambitions – do not come before their child’s right to a decent life.