Why Students Shouldn't Wear Uniforms | Teen Ink

Why Students Shouldn't Wear Uniforms

By ajc22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ajc22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The court said that the students have freedom of speech. “The court said that the students clothing was a form of free  speech.” There is no state law that schools have their students wear uniforms, “No state law requires school uniforms.”  22 There many reasons why students should or should not wear uniforms. One  reason why students should wear uniforms a survey showed that uniforms are more cost -effective than regular clothes. “With that said, it was not surprising to uncover that eight out of ten survey respondents (86%) believed one of the main benefits to parents is that school uniforms are more cost-effective than regular apparel.” and there are reasons why students should wear uniforms, for example: students who wear uniforms did not do any better in attendance. “In a study published in 1998 states said that the schools can make students wear uniforms “As 2008, 22 states said schools could make students wear uniforms.”

Not able to express how students dress it can make students can make students act negatively to not able to express how they feel . “By denying students the opportunity to fully express their unique their unique personality though the clothing they select, individualism is unable to develop to its fullest capacity.” Not able for students to self-express it can effect the students future, “Denying students the ability to express individualism and belief in a sub-culture whether preppy, hip-hop, punk, or jock, could stymie the students transition from childhood into adulthood.” Clothing can allow students to express their students to express their self expression is for after school. “School officials are likely to argue that school is exclusively for learning, and that self-expression is for after-school hours.”
Students who wore uniforms did not do any better in attendance. “ In a study published in 1998, he and a co-author, Kerry Ann Rockquemore, concluded that 10th-grade public school students who wore uniforms did no better than those who did not in attendance, behavior or drug use.” Uniforms Has seemed to have a negative effect on the first graders. “He said the findings even concluded that uniforms had “A small yet statistically significant negative effect” on first graders reading score.” The uniforms has seemed to have decrease peer pressure. “Dr. Draa said in a phone interview can be beneficial by blurring class lines within a student body and decreasing pressure.”

The schools percentages on not wearing uniforms are higher than schools that have uniforms “Classroom Discipline (85%), image in the community (83%) Students safety (79%), student achievement (64%) attendence (44%).”

Other schools that has uniforms might say students are more focused on school work. “First and formost, many administrators claim that students are not as distracted by how they look, and therefore, spend more time learning at school.” but students who wore uniforms did not do any better in attendence. “In a study published in 1998, he and a  CO-author, Kenny Awn Rockquemore, canculed that 10th-grade public school students who wore uniforms did no better that those who did not in attendence behavior or drug use.” Uniforms has seemed to make life simpler. “Alexandia made life simpler “Yeah, it’s so much easier in the morning,” she said when Iget up, I already know what I’m wearing and it’s already hung on my door.” But the uniforms has seemed to have a negative effect on the first graders reading scores. “He said the findings even concluded that uniforms had a small yet statistcally significant negative effect on first graders reading score.”

There are good things about wearing uniforms and there are also bad things about uniforms like The schools percentages on not wearing uniforms are higher than schools that have uniforms, students who wore uniforms did not do any better in attendance, and not able to express how students dress it can make students act negatively to not able to express how they feel are reasons why students shouldn’t wear uniforms.