Meaning? | Teen Ink

Meaning?

June 15, 2016
By ILikeKitties SILVER, Sacramento, California
ILikeKitties SILVER, Sacramento, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a mere low-class peasant, I think I’ve grasped the fundamentals of my life. Go to school and get an education, go to college and get at least a bachelors degree, and then finally with my degree that makes me look somewhat smart ( But honestly doesn’t mean s***) get a job and work till the day I die. Now isn’t that appealing?

      

As kids we’ve heard phrases such as “Get good grades.”, “Do well in school.”, “If you don’t do well in school now, you’re going to regret it later on in life.” from parents, teachers, principals, to almost every adult figure we’ve known . But I can’t help but ask this one simple question…  Why? I don’t know I simply just don’t see the point. I know tons of people that were straight A students, and graduates of UC Davis, Berkeley, etc. But once they got out of school and everything they simply didn’t know what to do with their life. Although they were such smart students, turning in everything, etc . They were missing something even more important; Dreams.
    

Money is a necessity here in the first world society. You need it for food, housing, clothes,-pretty much everything. And how do you get money? Well jobs, and what do you usually need for jobs? Education, even if its something like manual labor you usually still need education. What level of education you have usually tells the rich people if you’re even fit to work for them. That’s how our society works right now. If you have high level education such as a PHD or something you have a chance to earn a lot of money. And most people usually associate money with success. But money doesn’t really mean happiness.
              

School just tells you to do this and do that. It doesn’t really help you on finding “yourself” much and maybe even it shouldn’t and all I’m saying is wrong. But because of this we have tons of college kids that are used to being a robot and don’t know what to do with their life. What’s the point of college if you don’t even know who you are? You’re just selling yourself into debt.
      

You should find what you love to do, and do that. That’s all
  
 


The author's comments:

What's the meaning of it all if you don't know who you are?