Should Students be Separated? | Teen Ink

Should Students be Separated?

By Mitch404 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Mitch404 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Separation is the act or state of moving or moved apart. Separation is mostly done through or caused by the categorizing of things and put together accordingly.

Separation also occurs in schools. Students, as elements of a class, should never be separated, especially by academic abilities and test performances. Separating them can cause a limitation to grow even better, academically.

Max, a student from Freedom Writers, once stated, “It’s different working with others. You might have one idea of how you want it to turn out, but they have a different brain and they might have another idea about it.”

When I was in fifth grade, my teacher made us experience the separation process. He divided us into six groups of six and numbered each from one to six. He then took everyone’s monthly test scores, and placed us in our groups accordingly. The higher you’re the more chances of you getting a seat in group one. Students of higher test scores, who all sat in the same group, excelled extremely well while those who have a low test score showed no improvement. Well, how would they get plenty of help from those who seek the same help they do?

Mr Ballesteros, a teacher, once stated as his belief, “Students learn better from other students, especially those who know what they’re doing.”

Students should never be separated in class according to abilities and test performances. Students need to interact with these academically different from them to widen and broaden creativity and thinking.

my fifth grade experience inspired me.

iWriteForFood SILVER, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

"Logic will get you from point A to point B. Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Albert Einstein

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

While I see where you're coming from, I have to say that separation can be a good thing in schools. As a gifted student myself, I often get very bored in my classes because I am ahead of other students and grasp concepts more quickly than they do. I'm not trying to sound conceited; I'm just stating the truth. Sometimes I wish my school had a separate Gifted and Talented program so that kids like me could be better challenged academically and improve more. As long as everyone gets attention so that they can learn and grow, I think that separation can help students. Gifted students are challenged and involved, and average students can get more attention and won't be scrambling to catch up.