High School Stress | Teen Ink

High School Stress

By ImaneAitDaoud SILVER, Minniapolis, Minnesota
ImaneAitDaoud SILVER, Minniapolis, Minnesota

“look up towards the skies and you'll realize that love is mightier than hate and death is none other than the start of a new adventure.”

In today's academic world, teens in the United States are forced to face many obstacles. One of the biggest obstacles is high school. High school is one of the most important parts of an average teen’s academic and social life in the United States. It is where many people find themselves, including discovering what they want, what they're good at, and sometimes even who they are and who they think they’re destined to be.

High school can be considered a great experience, however, our high school years are also a time where students struggle most and find themselves facing a lot of stress. From one’s prom dress to a midterm in algebra, there is always something to stress about. However, homework seems to be the one main thing many teens claim to be stressed about. “Stress seems to come from homework. Every time your homework pile stacks higher, your stress levels rise.” Said CHHS Junior Holly Keller.

Homework is a huge part of high school coursework, especially if one takes Advanced Placement (AP) or Honors classes in high school. According to an article on coping with school stress on WebMD.com, ways one could limit their stress in school is by keeping a planner, studying in quiet areas, and studying earlier in the day rather than late in the evening.

Another aspect of high school that is a contributor to stress is the social aspect.

“Teens are more stressed out from the drama around them than the actual class work. Also, when they put homework off, they get more stressed out,” said CHHS chemistry teacher Donald Kitzman.

In high school there are many kinds of people and there is always some kind of stereotype being assigned to someone. Those stereotypes can often put many students in seriously stressful situations. For example, in books, in movies, and in many normal high schools, the popular kid often feels as though they are expected to keep up with current events and trends. They are more likely to be extremely self-conscious and their reputation seems to be everything they are concerned with. The “nerdy” kids are always being picked on and teased. As a result they may feel left out, worthless, and the stress of having to deal with bullying issues can often be overwhelming.

According to an article on Harvard Health Publications, 9% of students get bullied. In order to deal with the stress of bullying and stereotypes students should talk to adults they trust and try to avoid negative influences. They should try to decrease the drama in their life, because often drama is the main source of stress.

“Don’t let things drive you to do negative things. The best thing to do is to take time to breathe and to get on with whatever it is you need to do,” said CHHS junior Laura D’ Almeida.

The lack of rest, free time, or play is also a great source of stress. An American Academy of Pediatrics report states that whereas play protects children's emotional development, a loss of free time in combination with a hurried lifestyle can be a source of stress, anxiety, and may even contribute to depression for many children.

If you would like to learn more about high school stress, bullying, or just stress in general, talk to your school counselor, a friend or relative that is in high school, and most importantly, talk to a trusted adult.