My take on High School | Teen Ink

My take on High School

By chemist-in-training BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
chemist-in-training BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Drama is pointless unless acted upon a stage.

It feels as though the walls are closing in on me. I feel as though I am suffocating in a world that is unknown to so many. My mind slips into a dream mode to escape the thought of my personal prison. I’ve had this dream before. I’m lying in a field with a light blue sky overhead. Somewhere, someone is blowing bubbles, and those bubbles float gently above me. As they rise higher they begin to pop. As the final bubble pops, I am left with a grey world and a broken dream. This is my Jericho, am I’m waiting for the walls to fall down.
A sudden noise jolts me from my stupor. There’s a mumbling coming from the door to my “prison cell”, at least that’s what this room feels like. A man walks towards me holding a large syringe containing a substance that is foreign to my body. He says it is to help “cure my disorder”. I’ve been in this “mental institute” since I was 6… I’m now 15. They keep me locked up here because I am a danger to others without the proper treatment and that I am a risk that cannot be taken: these are just a couple of the excuses I have received. This has been my home for years and I know all who come and go inside this fortress.
I let the man stab my frail arm with his “sword” and go back to daydreaming. I try to go back to my field but all I am left with is a blank mind and a poorly lit room.

I originally planned this to be a novel but for some reason I just have not had the urge to go any further... I hope you enjoy my work.

ThisEmilyDa1 SILVER, BF, New Mexico

only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile
-Albert Instien
the only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Nice job, would totally read it if it was a novel. However, try to avoid filtering as much as possible. This is when the author writes things through the characters eyes, rather than what the reader would see. E.g. I saw a dog (filtering), vs. There was a dog. The second allows the reader to better visualize the scene and feel more connected and relatable to the character. It's difficult to remember and do, especially with first person view, just try to remember. I still have a ways to go in my own writing and even do it. Anyway,keep up the good work!

Thank you so much!  

Lanimal SILVER said...
on Jan. 13 2014 at 1:25 am
Lanimal SILVER, Thornton, Colorado

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."
-Edmund Hillary

This feels like a great start to a novel - you definitely should keep with your original plan and try to make it longer, I really want to read more!!! Great cliffhanger! Fantastic job!! :)