Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

on Jul. 19 2011 at 5:14 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I just wish more people would do something about bullying.

julian GOLD said...
on Jul. 19 2011 at 10:34 am
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Well, I don't know how anybody could disagree with your viewpoint on this important topic. Bullying is devastating and weak-minded. It needs to be stopped! So its great that you're putting it out there for the world to see!

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:30 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I certainly hope so!  Bullying is a serious problem.

on Jul. 18 2011 at 10:29 pm
whitstar27 GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

when life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then step back and let the world wonder how you did it
and
when life gives you lemon, throw them back at life

Good job! Bullying can be a serious problem, and the more people are informed, maybe there will be less of it.

on Jul. 17 2011 at 7:00 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for commenting.  And yes, bullying has to be stopped.  If we all make an effort, then maybe it'll get a little bit better. :)

on Jul. 17 2011 at 6:14 pm
Autumn-Rain SILVER, West Lafayette, Indiana

Thisis a really good article and gets to the point. I respect you for putting your opinion in a school newsletter... Some people may think that people who get a teacher to stand up to bullying are just teacher's pets... So I respect you for being willing to put your opinion out.

I go to a small Christian school on a mission base in another country... So we don't have a whole lot of bullying here... (not to say we don't have problems... a lot of the same issues faced at other schools are preseant here too)

But I totally agree that bullying should be stopped....

on Jul. 13 2011 at 10:03 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad some people out there agree that this needs to stop.

Gayl31 BRONZE said...
on Jul. 13 2011 at 5:14 am
Gayl31 BRONZE, Malta, Other
I agree with every single thing you wrote. It's awful that nothing has changed  but like Melliana said, not unexpected. The article raises some very relevant points about a global problem and that's brilliant on your part. Very moving and you not only list the problems, you find solutions. I can't find anything wrong with it :) 5 out of 5.

on Jul. 12 2011 at 8:31 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! 

Yeah, it's not surprising nothing has changed, I admit that.  But I wish it would.

on Jul. 12 2011 at 7:31 pm
Melliana SILVER, Ware Shoals, South Carolina

"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." - Sylvia Plath

The quote about why you wrote the article is really touching. You say nothing's changed so far; while it's heartbreaking, I'm not entirely surprised. This article in and of itself was moving and hit on a lot of good points. I commend your writing abilities. :)

on Jul. 12 2011 at 5:32 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I would have used a synonym for victims, but there are no convenient ones that flow nicely. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

on Jul. 12 2011 at 5:30 pm
ninapaniena PLATINUM, Sammamish, Washington

To be a good surgeon you have to think like a surgeon, emotions are messy, tuck them neatly away and step into a clean sterile room, where the procedure is simple, cut suture, and close. But sometimes your faced with a cut that won't heal, a cut that rips the stitches right open

I love the piece 5 stars but I would add a little flair to the piece by using synonyms for "victim" and adding a personal touch. For example share stories from your school!

on Jul. 12 2011 at 10:34 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Okay.  Thanks for the feedback!

on Jul. 12 2011 at 10:23 am
JustEmily PLATINUM, Cicero, Indiana

That's HAWT!

I liked the message. Personally I think a synonym for "victim" put in every now and then would've helped put some variety and vocabulary into this piece.

on Jul. 10 2011 at 10:47 pm
MidnightFire PLATINUM, Lincoln, Illinois

'Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.'
for my sister: 'when life gives me lemons ... i eat them'
'do not be afraid, be faithful'
'God is not safe, but He's good'

i like to read something that you can tell the person totally belives in and come straight from the heart ... i usually stick around the action-adventure area so i dont see this type of righting alot ... the whole I'll read yours if you read mine thing is definately helping me branch out so thanks for the opportunity :)

on Jul. 10 2011 at 9:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!  How do you suggest giving my writing a more sophisticated tone?

on Jul. 10 2011 at 9:26 pm
NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

I think bullying starts at home. I may be wrong, but if parents and siblings enforce respect then bullying may not be as huge as it is now.

As a piece of writing, I think this had a lot of soul and spirit to it, but I think I would have prefered a more sophisticated (yet colloquial) tone to give you an authority-like edge.

Good job, however! Keep writing!

on Jul. 10 2011 at 1:32 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

on Jul. 10 2011 at 1:31 pm
NinjaGirl BRONZE, Valley City, North Dakota

The only thing holding us back in life is our desire to stay where we are and not venture further.
~Some random person on the Internet :P

This is a great persuasive piece on why we must end bullying. You used your extensive, ever-present vocabulary and perfect paragraph size. Five out of five. :)

on Jul. 8 2011 at 7:22 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Well, bullying happens constantly at my school.  One night when the power was out, my dad and I got talking about it.  So I booted up my laptop and wrote this.