Math is the Most Important | Teen Ink

Math is the Most Important

By sadie-chong BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland
sadie-chong BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland

Parents, students, and teachers,

I used math in every situation, problem, conversation, anything you can think of. Math was a huge part of me when I was younger, and still is to this day. I have a lot of medical issues and I take a lot of medication. I need to use my math skills to know how much medicine I take, calculations on how much medication I have left in my injections, calculating my heart rate, and so much more. It was and still is very important to me because it teaches me all of the measurements and calculations on my own. Math also helps me problem-solve in things like calculating how many pages I have left in my textbook to read, or when I should take study breaks. Math is the most important subject because it improves problem-solving skills, and develops creativity.

Math is useful for fun activities like winning games. In an article in Proquest centering on how math is useful, the author, The economist, expresses how math is useful in many ways just like winning games. “Playing games, he writes, ‘overlaps with what I enjoy about mathematics.’: the challenge of solving a problem within a set of rules, the need to overcome obstacles and the victorious “aha” moment when a solution is found.” Without the use of math, how could anyone overcome obstacles in games, and competitions? Math is very helpful even when it comes to things we wouldn’t think needed math. When winning games, you need to solve a challenging problem with math.

Many jobs use math. Even jobs no one would ever think would need it. In another article in Proquest focusing on how math is used in life Daigle wrote “He added, ‘In order to be successful at racing, it’s not just a matter of sitting in the car and driving. You have to pay attention to how your car runs. That means knowing about physics, geometry, and other types of math.” Math is used worldwide and it is very important to understand and do your job correctly. Especially in the case of a race car driver, it wouldn’t seem like a race car driver needed to understand and know math in their job. This just shows how important math is and how it is applied in everyday life where it can help with problem solving and creativity.

On the other hand, English is used in everyday life and it is necessary for important things like speaking well for an interview, or writing essays, etc. English is very important especially because it helps with communication. However, English doesn’t help with the most important thing. Which is our building to understand. Math helps strengthen reasoning skills and critical thinking which is the key to everything. Although English is necessary for every job, math is what helps analyze and solve problems that English cannot do.

In conclusion, math is something that takes time to build, but it is a necessity to this world. Math can help in any field whether it’s science and engineering, or dance and race car driving. It is very helpful in simple things in life. Just like telling time, or paying taxes. It helps and teaches all of us how to problem solve and use critical thinking.

I hope that people will believe that math is the most important because it teaches us so much and we use it all the time wherever and whenever.