Why Again Do We Need Algebra? | Teen Ink

Why Again Do We Need Algebra?

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

People talk about so many issues in the world. You know what I don’t ever hear people talking about? Algebra. Algebra is here, it’s hard, it’s annoying, and above all else, it is pointless. It’s cool if you’re working somewhere like NASA, but if you’re like me, you’ll never need it. The only thing I will ever use algebra for in my career of teaching third graders is scaring them.

Some argue that teaching algebra in schools is unnecessary. I agree - it's complex and abstract, and many students never use it in their daily lives or careers. Instead, schools should focus on teaching practical skills like financial literacy, communication, and problem-solving, which will better prepare students for success in the future.

Teaching algebra in schools can create unnecessary stress and anxiety among students, particularly those who struggle with math. It can also reinforce the idea that academic success is solely based on one's ability to excel in math, which is not true. By shifting the emphasis to practical skills, students can receive a more well-rounded education that prepares them not only for the workforce but also for life in general.

Like, seriously, explain why I should learn it. Are you telling me that when I go off to Walmart, to grab a bottle of toothpaste and a watermelon, the cashier is going to slap a sticky note down telling me to divide 2x^3+17x^2-x+19 by 3x^2+x? No, at least, they better not. I’d honestly just leave the store at that point if they actually did that.

And, of course, don’t even get me started on chemistry. If I want to know how to blow something up, Mentos + Coke. Boom. Problem solved.