Why School Should Be Shorter | Teen Ink

Why School Should Be Shorter

June 10, 2023
By Anonymous

Many students and educators believe that school should be shorter. The current school day and year are based on an outdated model that was designed for a different era. Students today face a wide range of challenges that previous generations did not, including increased academic pressure, social media distractions, and mental health issues. Shortening the school day and year could help alleviate some of these problems by giving students more time to rest, pursue extracurricular activities, and spend time with their families. Additionally, research has shown that shorter school days and years can lead to improved academic performance and higher levels of student engagement.

One of the main reasons is that shorter school days and years could lead to increased student engagement and motivation. When students are in school for long hours every day, they may become bored and disengaged, which can negatively impact their learning and academic performance. By shortening the school day and year, students may be more focused and motivated during the time they are in school.

This example supports the claim that school should be shorter because it highlights the negative effects that the current school day and year can have on students' physical and mental health. By spending long hours in class, completing homework assignments, and studying for exams, students can become overwhelmed and stressed out, which can lead to burnout and other health problems. By shortening the school day and year, students would have more time to rest and recharge, which could help reduce stress levels and improve overall well-being. Additionally, having more time to pursue hobbies and interests, and spend time with friends and family, can help students develop a more balanced and fulfilling life, which can have positive effects on their academic performance and overall happiness.

A study conducted by the University of California, Irvine found that students who had more free time were more likely to engage in creative activities, such as writing, drawing, and playing music. Another study conducted by the University of Minnesota found that students who had more sleep were more likely to perform better academically. Shorter school days and years could allow students to have more free time and get more sleep, which could lead to increased creativity and academic performance.

The evidence I provided supports the claim that shorter school days and years could have a positive impact on students' creativity, motivation, and overall well-being. The study suggests that when students have more time for extracurricular activities, hobbies, and rest, they are more likely to be motivated and creative. This is because they have more time to explore their interests and passions, which can lead to increased engagement and enthusiasm for learning. Additionally, shorter school days and years may reduce stress and burnout among students, which can have a positive impact on their overall well-being. When students are less stressed and burnt out, they are more likely to be motivated and engaged in their learning

In summary, the evidence suggests that shortening school days and years could have multiple benefits for students. Firstly, it could lead to increased student engagement and motivation by preventing boredom and disengagement. Secondly, it could promote better mental health outcomes by allowing students to engage in activities that promote wellness. Finally, it could lead to increased creativity and academic performance by allowing students to have more free time and get more sleep. Therefore, shortening school days and years could be a positive change for students that could have long-lasting benefits for their academic and personal lives.