WHY EVERY STUDENT SHOULD CULTIVATE THE HABIT OF READING | Teen Ink

WHY EVERY STUDENT SHOULD CULTIVATE THE HABIT OF READING

By SallyAudrey SILVER, Akim Oda, Other
SallyAudrey SILVER, Akim Oda, Other

Reading is very important in the lives of people especially students. Reading is the source of knowledge, new skills, new information and new ideas. The greatest gift an individual can possess is a passion for reading.

To start with, reading inspires. Reading empowers.  Reading enhances ones creativity. A person might have a great ability or talent but might hide it because he has neither inspiration nor encouragement to bring it out. Through reading, an individual gets inspired and encouraged and can discover his true talents as a result. Many books have in them inspirational quotes and sayings that when a person could have access to some of these quotes, it would be of great help and can inspire them to even inspire others.  “A good reader has imagination, memory, a dictionary and some artistic sense” says Vladimir Nabokov, a Russian novelist and poet.

Also, reading entertains you. Reading kills boredom. In a certain town, a teenager used to move about with books. She was always either going to the library or to a bookshop for books. She had no toys but she was always entertained and you’ll always find her with her books, near her books or around her books. She rarely sat there idle. If all teens or students could learn from this young girl, it would have great impact on them. A lot of teenagers and other young girls have toys and other games but yet they’re always bored.

Reading increases understanding. With reading, we can learn to understand deeper into lessons and other things that we don’t understand. When a teacher for instance teaches about a certain topic and you don’t get it or you haven’t had enough understanding about the lesson, you could go over your own books and read it thoroughly which you would probably get far better understanding with.

Reading helps you pass exams. During examination period, one who depends solely on others score lesser marks compared to those who read their books on their own. Reading also helps to write and explain points vividly in examination.

I believe that the points I have stated above will be taken into consideration and for that matter, students will be taught on the importance of reading and the benefits one could get from reading.