The Harsh Reality of College: Drowning in Debt and Despair | Teen Ink

The Harsh Reality of College: Drowning in Debt and Despair MAG

As soon as I entered the seventh grade, the idea of planning for college and excelling in academics and extracurriculars was constantly impressed upon me. Viewing college banners draped in every hallway as soon as I stepped into my new middle school building, and even sitting down in my first period class, where my teacher warned that “grades now matter,” frightened me senseless. I have definitely thought about college since then and had a few schools in mind, but the stress would not hit hard until I reached my junior year of high school.

I joined a program called “Imagine College” through my high school, where the mentors would emphasize applying to our dream universities, even if they were incredibly expensive. They convinced us that money should be no barrier, but the reality could not be harsher.

My dream school has always been the University of Connecticut, and when I got accepted, I thought, “Wow, not only would I be experiencing the Husky Life I dreamed of, but also UConn would make it affordable enough for me because I am in-state, demonstrate much financial need, and show promising results in academics.”

When I was hit with the university’s financial aid offer, I was heartbroken and overwhelmingly stressed. It became clear to me that I would have to apply for an insane amount of scholarships and start searching for summer jobs to pay a fraction of what the university is expecting of me. Filling out paperwork for scholarships every day and searching for summer jobs has been so stressful, especially with the painful truth that I will also have to take out bank loans.

I come from a low-income family and dread thinking about the idea of taking out loans for university and having to repay the bank with even more than I borrowed. I worry that in my future I will be drowning in debt, while also being preoccupied with paying for daily life expenses. Northeast Valley News shared a personal experience from an aspiring college student, saying “neither of his parents were able to go to college, and in hopes of ending that cycle, he ended up taking two jobs and joining the ROTC to try and graduate with as little debt as possible. He described many nights where he would think it was impossible and experienced anxiety attacks and a lack of confidence in his ability.”

Similar to this student’s reflection, the majority of college or aspiring college students are trying so hard to balance their impossible schedules just to make ends meet. However, college is supposed to be an exciting experience with new opportunities, adventures, and knowledge, in an environment where students actually savor them. Constantly stressing and working ridiculous amounts of hours is detrimental to the college experience. By the time students graduate, their overflowing debt will be a souvenir of the stress and exhaustion they experienced throughout their college journey.

This can change. If college is free for those who are unable to afford it, they would receive the same opportunity as everyone else. Rhode Island has implemented a scholarship program that provides students with the opportunity to get an Associate’s degree (two years) for free at the state community college. According to EdSource, the state “saw its community college graduation rate triple and students of colors’ graduation rate increased ninefold.” How they will utilize that chance is up to them. What matters is the self-confidence they feel entering college in order to work for their degree without constantly beating themselves up and living in a life chained down by debt. Everyone deserves a chance to better their lives and be proud of their accomplishments. College’s main objective should be to ensure everyone wanting to attend can create a significant and positive impact on their lives and the lives of their hopeful family members as well.

For all the aspiring or upcoming College students, know you are not alone and there will always be support for you. I am with you, I struggled, I persevered, and you will too.