Anti-Bullying Strategies In School | Teen Ink

Anti-Bullying Strategies In School

By vapatel26 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
vapatel26 BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey

19% of students in grades 9-12 report being bullied on school grounds nationwide (Facts About Bullying 1). In 2010, a seventh-grader, Tiara, was a bully to many at school. She would say nasty things to her peers and yell at them for no reason. When she was introduced to peer mentoring, an anti-bullying strategy brought up by the school, she stopped bullying other students, and she has not been to the principal's office ever since. Bullying is not a new issue and has been going on forever but recently, schools have started acknowledging these problems. They have tried to solve them with different anti-bullying strategies such as peer mentoring. Furthermore, the anti-bullying strategies that schools use are successful with the help of peer mentoring, raising awareness of bullying, along with educating people about the topic. 

One strategy to decrease bullying is peer-mentoring, when mentors raise awareness of bullying among students. In the article, “The Way to Really Stop School Bullying: Student Mentors”, it states, “Peer mentoring raises standards for student behavior among the students themselves and erodes student apathy about negative behaviors”. With this in mind, the number of bullying incidents has dropped sharply in schools, but grades and attendance have improved, some kids missed school because they were afraid of bullies and didn’t feel safe. Furthermore, in the text it shows how 63% of students had been bullied at school in the past, 40% were bullied in the current school year and 59% reported that the bullying situation at school has improved drastically because of peer mentoring. With these statistics, you can observe how peer mentoring has decreased the amount of bullying in schools. Along with raising awareness of bullying and how you can help someone who is being bullied. 

These mentors educate and raise awareness of bullying in various ways. The text, “The Way to Really Stop School Bullying: Student Mentors”, voices how mentors have created bullying books with suggestions on how to respond to bullying (Dalton 1). This is one of many strategies the peer mentors do to help these students exceed their learning knowledge of bullying. The purpose of peer mentoring programs is to eradicate the culture of bullying and replace it with a culture of caring for one another, by leveraging students' awareness, leadership, and compassion. When mentors do this they feel good about themselves knowing that they have helped these students improve, individually, their responses to bullying and raised awareness of bullying. 

In conclusion, the anti-bullying strategies that schools use are successful. Students are getting bullied regardless, but peer mentoring paves a new road for a better environment in school for students that get bullied. Therefore, peer mentoring has a significant role in this because of how well it has helped students increase their knowledge of bullying and raise awareness of it as well. Even with several strategies to help bullying schools will still have bullying. However, it is better to have some strategies than none.

I wrote this in my English class!!!