Why Having Diversity in Schools Matter | Teen Ink

Why Having Diversity in Schools Matter

By mahek123 BRONZE, Hartford, Connecticut
mahek123 BRONZE, Hartford, Connecticut

Why Having Diversity in Schools Matter

Going into elementary school I didn't realize how non-diverse my school was. It hit me when I was in the third grade, being my nine-year-old self, and only being around a majority of white kids and teachers. I felt self-conscious about the color of my skin, the way my hair was not pin straight like other girls, and the smell of the Indian food in my lunch bag that I would take out during lunch. The other kids would make disgusted faces at me and ask me how I could eat that type of food. 

Due to this, going into my fourth year of elementary school, I would try making my hair look as straight as possible. I stopped talking about the parts of my culture that I loved to my friends, I stopped wearing cultural clothes, and I stopped bringing Indian food to school. I just wanted to fit in and look like the kids in my school.

I look back today and wonder why I would do that. Once I got into middle school I saw many kids and teachers who were of different races and came from different backgrounds. I suddenly felt relieved that there were other kids who were like me. “The Importance of Diversity & Cultural Awareness in the Classroom,” written by Drexel University, explains how having diversity in school creates a more comfortable and safe feeling environment for many students and teachers. This is true. 

Not only did I feel more comfortable in my own skin but I, in general, did not feel judged by my peers when I would talk about my culture. Instead, they would compliment and appreciate my culture. During picture day I wore a Sari (an Indian dress) to school for picture day. I was still a little nervous about other kids' reactions to me wearing my cultural clothes but my friends and family encouraged me to, so I did. The second I walked into school I started getting a lot of stares, but this time they were good stares. People I didn't even know told me I looked pretty and made me feel embraceful about what I was wearing. 

I also made friends of different backgrounds who told me the different types of foods, dances, and music they have which gave me the opportunity to be exposed to and learn about new cultures around the world.

In that year, I had more friends than I ever had. I was able to be in so many more diverse friend groups and be my true self, without having to cover myself up and put some kind of mask over my face to just fit in. 

Without diversity, kids don't have the opportunities to grasp and comprehend the world around them when it comes to being aware of people who are different from them, whether that's their race, ethnicity, or the color of their skin.

Some may argue that diversity is not essential in schools, that it doesn't matter if kids learn where their classmates come from around the world because it does not affect a kid's education. This is a ridiculous notation. Learning about someone's background can actually increase a kid's learning and how open-minded they are when it comes to different cultures. 

Teachers and students can get to know their students, and understand each individual student. Teachers taking the time to get to know and learn each student's cultural background shows a genuine interest in the student and, can create trust between the teacher and the student. Teachers should also try to incorporate lessons about diversity in classrooms, allowing students to do research and learn about the cultures of different people around the world at a young age too. If students, regardless of their individual differences and identity, feel valued by other students who are open-minded in their school community, it will help them seamlessly integrate those values into their adulthood and community outside of school. 

Work Cited

Anderson, Mark. “OPINION: Why diversity in schools is critical to our democracy.” The Hechinger Report, 7 March 2017, hechingerreport.org/opinion-diversity-schools-critical-democracy/. Accessed 24 May 2022.

“Op-Ed: Diversity Essential to Learning – The Gator.” The Gator, 16 October 2018, bmgator.org/14403/opinion/op-ed-diversity-essential-to-learning/. Accessed 24 May 2022.

Rodriguez, Jacqueline. “Diversity in the Classroom: Why Representation Matters.” Diverse: Issues In Higher Education, 1 July 2021, diverseeducation.com/opinion/article/15109575/diversity-in-the-classroom-why-representation-matters. Accessed 24 May 2022.

.

I feel very strongly about the piece I have written and put a lot of effort into making it. I feel my words can impact others in a positive way if they ever or have been through what I have.