Free College: The Solution to the Student Debt Crisis | Teen Ink

Free College: The Solution to the Student Debt Crisis MAG

May 24, 2022
By JasonWrites22 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
JasonWrites22 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Education is essential to society as we know it. It is what propels our civilization toward the future and grants people the skills they need to contribute to the world through their careers. If education is so important, then why is it so unaffordable to most Americans? According to Student Loan Hero, Americans owe nearly $1.75 trillion in student loan debt, spread out among about 46 million borrowers. Over $1 trillion is an amount that I can not even fathom, and it is growing exponentially everyday. The trend that surrounds this startling statistic can be stopped, though. It would be beneficial to American society to make college free and put an end to the student debt crisis.

One of the largest benefits that would come from free college is more enrollment. The reason that many people who want to go to college, but choose not to do so, is because they fear paying a high tuition. This prevents so many qualified individuals from getting a higher education and pursuing the career that they want. In an interview with The Balance, Morley Winograd, president of the Campaign for Free College Tuition, said free college programs are successful in persuading students who felt as if they would not have been able to afford continuing their education otherwise. The initiative of free college would help the underprivileged people in our country achieve success and prosperity. Since more people would be able to get the education and jobs they desire, American society will improve.

One aspect of our society that will be greatly affected is the economy. Free college will cause our nation’s economy to improve by leaps and bounds. Since the cost of living is already so expensive without student debt, leaving college with tens of thousands of dollars in loans makes the financial lives of graduates incredibly difficult. They are reluctant to participate in the economy because their student loans are hanging above their heads, always reminding them that they are not free from the financial burden of college tuition. This would not be the case if college was free. In a Best-Universities.net article on the merits of free college, the writer says, “Yet, if people were to graduate without debt, they would immediately be able to begin earning, saving, and spending, thus stimulating the economy… there becomes a need for more workers, creating more jobs.” Because the economy will vastly improve with free college, the extra taxes that will need to be paid for free college will pay themselves off with the increased economic activity. This is a situation that will benefit everyone in America for years to come.

Free college is a policy that could only offer positive outcomes for American society. Several countries in Europe already have free college and are reaping the benefits. Once America decides to join these European countries, the improvements will change the nation for the better. In a society with more educated people pursuing the careers they want and a better economy, America would only have one way to go — up.