Sailor Abby | Teen Ink

Sailor Abby

Imagine if you were one of the youngest people who tried to sail across the world. In the story it talks about a 16-year old girl that got bullied by the media because she got stuck in the middle of the ocean. The media describe the Sunderland family choice for letting Abby sail alone. One description is that she is very lucky. Another, describes is that she is careless. One last description is that she was selfish.

One way the media described the Sunderland family choice for letting Abby sail alone is that she is very lucky, In the article, Parents of Rescued Teenage Sailor Abby Sunderland Accused of Risking Her Life. The Author states ”in Abby’s case she was very lucky. It’s only a matter of time until we end up with a tragedy on our hands''said Derrick Fries (Page #21 paragraph 4). As it says in the quote “in Abby's case she is very lucky.” if something else had happened to her it could have turned bad. Not only does the media portray Abby and her family this way, but they also show them as not very careful.

Additionally, you will see in this paragraph it will talk about the second reason describing how the media made of Abby and her family. That Abby is careless. One quote to show this is, "Such opinions by professionals have been echoed on blogs and comments on news articles as members of the public have called the Sunderland's irresponsible and careless." (Parents of Rescued Teenage Sailor Abby Sunderland Accused of Risking Her Life, page 22, Paragraph 1 ). This evidence shows that she was careless because she kept making videos while stuck in the middle of the ocean and she was even on the wrong type of boat. In addition, they are portrayed as selfish.

In general, the Sunderland family is selfish in many ways here is one of the ways. A quote to explain why she is selfish is, ”embarking on unnecessary risks that jeopardize  the lives of rescue workers. When I thought of a 16-year old bobbing alone in the Indian ocean, surrounded by 25-feet waves I didn't feel inspired, I felt sad, and when I thought of her parents I felt furious.”( Ships of Fools, page 24, paragraph 4). This evidence shows that she is selfish because she risked her life and other peoples life just so she could get saved. Overall, the media portrayed Abby and her family as selfish, careless, and lucky.

Furthermore, this is how the media portray the Sunderland family choice for letting Abby sail alone. The first reason in the essay is that she is very lucky. Also, the second reason is that she is careless. Then last reason is that she is selfish. What would do you think about the Sunderland family for letting their daughter go to sea alone as a 16-18 year old?