Should Students Know Early On What Career They Want? | Teen Ink

Should Students Know Early On What Career They Want?

May 24, 2021
By Anonymous

In some societies, students are expected to identify a career by the time they enter high school. This is vital for students because it can help them intensely with their futures. If students know what they want to do in life, they can make decisions now that can help them achieve the goals in their future, it will assist them in finding classes that will benefit them, and it will aid them in finding jobs best suited for them.

Knowing what job they want could persuade students to make better decisions in their middle and high school years. For instance, if a student wishes to be a doctor, they would want to make choices to help them obtain that goal. Some people might say that students who want a specific career will be distracted in classes that don't have anything to do with said career. However, this is a misconception because if a student desires a specific occupation, they will be more likely to try harder in all of their classes, thus making better decisions while getting better grades as well.

Knowing what job they desire can also help teenagers know what classes will suit them. If a student wants to be a computer engineer, they will find that an engineering course or a computer management course will benefit them better than a class such as physical science. If the student preferred art but didn't quite know what they wanted to do with their talent, they will likely choose a class that won't accommodate their personal taste or help them exercise their skills, causing these skills to waste away. However, suppose the student wanted to use their love of art to pursue a career in pottery production. In that case, the student will know to find an education that will help them improve their abilities, and maybe a class on managing their own company if they're interested.

Finally, recognizing what career they want would allow teens to choose jobs that will provide them the opportunity to live successful lives. This essentially combines the good choices and the class-choosing concepts. By making good decisions and choosing the right classes, students are opening doors for possibilities that might not otherwise have been attainable. If students find their "dream job," they will live a happier and more satisfying life than if they would have if they merely got a senseless job the moment after graduating. Plus, students who obtain employment that they find a calling in are more likely to stay in the particular career for longer, even if the pay is atrocious. But this doesn't imply that the students are going to have poor paying jobs, for students who know precisely what they want to do in life will be smarter in choosing what specific occupation they want, who they desire to be employed by, and even the environment they would prefer to work in.

In conclusion, it is a brilliant idea for students to know what career they want by the time they enter high school. By knowing early on what they want for their life, students can transition to adulthood much more effortlessly. It will undoubtedly benefit the student and will inevitably make their future much brighter.