Society Denies Young Dreams | Teen Ink

Society Denies Young Dreams

June 5, 2019
By sdarnell BRONZE, Wildwood, Missouri
sdarnell BRONZE, Wildwood, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
'You can make a bad book into a good book, but you can't make anything out of a blank page,"


Students are consistently told they should know exactly what they want to be, yet only certain goals are accepted.

From the job fair to the quiz my middle school had us take, it was clear that the education system wanted me to figure out my life plan at the age of 13. The career options I was given were social worker, counselor, teacher, and many other similar things.

Many kids, like me, are given these basic job recommendations from a young age. I have always wanted to be an author, and I still do. The problem is that because being an author is such a big goal, to publish books and hope people like them, I am often doubted.

This is a similar situation for many other students dreams, such as being a player in the NBA, being an actress, or becoming a musician. The youth of our time is told they cannot reach for the stars because they will never make it.

Then how did all the current athletes, authors, movie stars and musicians make it to where they are? They all were kids at some point. Every successful adult starts as a kid with a dream.

Many similar students now are being told we cannot achieve our goals, that we will move past them and come up with another plan or that it is just a phase. Teenagers do go through phases but it is absurd that having a dream is considered one of them.

In reality, there is nothing wrong or abnormal with wanting to achieve big things at a young age. In fact, people who have big dreams and push themselves to achieve them have potential to truly reach the stars. The problem in our society is that parents, education and other professional adults tell us that we will never make or our goals are unrealistic and push us towards other options.

Most people, when I tell them I want to be an author, seem to just smile and nod.

People assume I will get over it and move on. When I say I want to publish a book, it’s assumed that I mean online or just sharing it with friends.

Little do they know I mean a physical copy of a book. I have written 180 pages, my full first draft, and I most definitely plan on finishing what I started. So to other students like me, who are not taken seriously due to your age, do not be discouraged.

We are the next generation, the generation of dreams who want more than a house with a white picket fence. The world is rapidly changing and we have a chance to make an impact in any career from sports to acting to writing.

Our lives are short, so don’t let anyone who doubts you prevent you from pursuing your dreams because in the end it is your life, not theirs. Wanting to leave a mark on the world is not childish or impossible in any way shape or form.


The author's comments:

This piece is a reaction towards the consisten, "interest-tests," and "potential job," quizzes given to students of all ages throughout their schooling, none of which allow for out-of-the-box results. I see many people give up on their talents because it simply isn't, "realistic," for them to pursue them, but I'd like to use this piece to prove them wrong. If you put the work in, you can make it happen.