Test Scores do NOT Reflect How Good a Teacher Is | Teen Ink

Test Scores do NOT Reflect How Good a Teacher Is

May 17, 2019
By Anonymous

All around the world students take tests throughout their lives, but does this exemplify their knowledge? More importantly, should teachers take the blame for low test scores? It’s true, teachers do play a role in a student’s education, but there are other factors as well. Teachers should not be the primary source of blame if there are low test scores. Parents play a huge role in their children’s education as well. Furthermore, the students themselves play a part. It’s not efficient to evaluate teachers solely on their students’ test scores. There are many different components that affect how well students do on tests, so only depending on test scores is an irrational decision.
   

 Parents hold huge responsibility for their children’s education. They determine what kind of environment they live in, what mindset they should have, and if they should try in school. These are all important factors that impact test scores. It is said, “Many parents, for example, do not realize that their attitude towards learning may be a de-motivating factor in their children’s success in school,” (WH Magazine). In other words, parents do not realize they’re an important component to a student’s mindset. What they say can have an enormous impact on their children’s decisions. Thus, because of this, if a student’s parent does not encourage or motivate education, then they’re more likely to not try in school, leading to lower test scores. In addition to parents having a crucial role in education, a psychology professor at Temple University states that “parental irresponsibility, after school jobs and social activities, and a decreased commitment to academic achievement among students leaves many college-bound youth unprepared for higher education,” (Williams 32). Parents who don’t involve themselves in their children’s education deteriorate their motivation to try in school. It makes them feel like if their education is not important in their parents’ eyes, then it’s probably not important at all. If they don’t have the motivation or drive to learn, then they’re most likely not going to study for exams. This makes low test scores not a result of bad teaching, but a result of bad parenting. Furthermore, students themselves determine how well they do on tests. Ultimately, it is the student who decides whether they’ll study or not. Teachers often get blamed for poor performances in school, but the student is the one responsible for each decision they make. The student “has a role to play by choosing to follow instructions, ask for help, follow the rules, complete tasks, and get along with peers,” (Exquisite). There are many things students can do to enhance their learning. If they use their tools correctly, such as asking for help, their chances of doing well on a test will increase. Teachers can teach students and give them the materials needed to learn, but if the student doesn’t use the materials, or refuses to take in the information taught, for reasons such as “the lesson is too hard”, then they’re eventually going to fail, not only the test but probably the whole subject as well. 
     

On the other hand, some might say that since the majority of the class has low or failed test scores, then the teacher must most likely be the problem. Though this might be true in some cases, this also shows that bad teachers can get away with mediocre teaching. Look at it this way, even if the teacher is bad at teaching, students can still go home and look up or watch videos on the subject. Higher academic level classes such as honors and AP are more likely to have motivated students. Even if the teacher of this honors/AP class is bad at teaching, the students will try their best to understand the curriculum, leading to better test scores. The bad thing about solely depending on test scores is exactly this: bad teachers are still able to keep their jobs if only test scores are looked at. This is why test scores shouldn’t determine how well a teacher does their job.
   

Overall, test scores don’t automatically determine a teacher’s capability of teaching. It’s foolish to only depend on them, and parents and students should know that. They too play a part in how well the test score turns out. The world makes it seem like test scores are everything, and that they should determine how well a teacher teaches, or how smart a student is. There is too much emphasis on test scores. Test scores are only important for one reason; they enable students to build up a successful mindset. If a student fails a test, then it’s crucial for them to know that there will always be other opportunities and chances for improvement. Test scores are not important; it’s what students learn from them that is. In 50 years, students will probably have most subjects forgotten, but something that will never leave them is faith, faith in themselves, and knowing that nothing is impossible if they have a little bit of self-trust and determination. 


The author's comments:

I'm currently a sophomore in high school and this piece was for an English assignment. I had a fun time writing this and I think the message it conveys is important for students all around the world. :)