Graduation | Teen Ink

Graduation

By lukeprice01 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
lukeprice01 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

We’re done. We’ve spent over 720 days in highschool. Some may think it was the best time of their life and some may have dreaded every minute of it. But it doesn’t matter, because it’s over. This chapter in our life has been written and the decisions we’ve made have been set in stone. But this is just the beginning of our book. Each and everyone of us have much more to write in the book of life.

No matter what you’re doing after high school, whether it be college, tech school, military, going into the workforce, etc. I’m confident that you learned something within the last four years that you can take with you and use for your benefit. For me personally, I learned a few life lessons that I would like to share. Going into highschool I had this preconceived notion that there is a “limit” to everyone’s potential in what they can do or learn. Throughout the last 4 years, I saw so many people in this class that went beyond what was previously considered their “limit”. I saw friends take some pretty difficult classes, and succeed. I saw friends take on some pretty difficult tests like ap test and act test, and they succeeded. I saw friends take on the challenge of being student athletes, and they succeeded. I learned the observation and experience that there is not “limit” to a person's potential to succeed. The only limit there is is the one that people set for themselves so don’t settle for less, I know there is limitless potential in all of you.

Another lesson that I’ve learned here is to be kind to everyone. I’ve seen what happens when people talk down on one another. In my experience, there are only two possible outcomes to this. The first possible outcome is that you worsen someone’s mentality on themselves. This is not productive for anyone. No one gains anything from this and it really has no point. The other possible outcome is that you worsen someone’s mentality on you. This is also not productive as you are just hurting your own reputation. This is not how you get far in life. Instead kindness has so many positive outcomes. By showing kindness to everyone, you’re showing everyone the person you truly are. With kindness, there really isn’t a downside and it helps to build people up. This is a valuable skill that will come in handy down the road.

Throughout everything you’ve learned within the last four years, in my opinion the most important lessons were not put in the class curriculum and instead were learned on our own through observation and experience. No matter what your lessons may have been, apply them to your future and keep learning. Through your next chapter in life just remember that there is no limit to what you can do so keep learning and do something nice. Thank you.