Dubious Online Advice? Fear No More | Teen Ink

Dubious Online Advice? Fear No More

April 18, 2019
By DeafeningSilence GOLD, Surrey, British Columbia, Other
DeafeningSilence GOLD, Surrey, British Columbia, Other
13 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“People are unequal, not because Hammurabi said so, but because Enlil and Marduk decreed it. People are equal, not because Thomas Jefferson said so, but because God created them that way.” - Yuval Noah Harari

“Since it is possible that you may depart from life this very moment, regulate every act and thought accordingly.” -Marcus Aurelius

“I discovered that my castles stand upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand.” - Coldplay, Viva la Vida


Q&A sites and bad advice have nearly become synonymous. People who ask Q&A sites for answers often cannot find solutions via Google and don’t have resources to find experts. The status quo is that many answers are unreliable and vague due to the lack of experts. Professionals are not incentivized to use most Q&A sites, creating a distance between them and the average advice-seeker. There is still nevertheless an ever-growing demand of questions that cannot be solved using a simple search. As I co-founder of a new startup, I seek to promote personalized and reliable virtual consultation.


I pitch to create an advice-giving site that connects experts to the common advice seeker. Users pay to enter a chatroom-type consultation with a professional in a selected field. This startup creates an environment where users can receive personalized answers from the world’s most qualified people. Yet sites like such become unreliable since anyone can answer. By using this new format, the demographics of online Q&A shift for the better. Questions will be of higher quality and answers will also improve as the people who answer will now need higher qualifications. This specifically helps millennials as they more likely to find answers online rather than word-of-mouth. In an era of fake news and distrust, quality answers become all the more important. I believe in the importance of accurate advice. I seek to use this startup to promote personalized, reliable knowledge in a connected world!