Why Students Should Have Jobs in High School | Teen Ink

Why Students Should Have Jobs in High School

By MPerez21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
MPerez21 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Over the course of time students have started to gain the want to get a job in their years in high school. Working a job provides spending money for a social life for many people. While for others, working is necessary to save for college or to help their family finances. Students spend four years of attending high school. Going through that time it prepares students for college and going into the “real world”. Getting a part-time job has became a very important thing for students. However, getting a job has some pros and cons attached with it. Even though it may look like having a job throughout high school is a bad idea because some people believe the primary duty of a student is studying. Even though studying is important, I strongly agree that students in their high school years should hold a job because of the skills that students learn and how they gain new positive traits.

With having a job, a teenager gets priceless experience when they combine work with education. High school provides students with the knowledge need to do something, but it cannot be compared with the real life situations. Real life situations teaches the teenager hands on and it helps them understand more how to react to different situations. While working a person definitely develops their communicative and professional skills when they have a part-time job. High school will provide you with the chance to communicate with your colleagues about different serious and relevant matters but most of the time students talk about what they are gonna do after school and nothing of too much importance. So having a part time job helps enhance the communication of the student and will prepare them for working on problems out of school.

When a teenager works at a job it is easier to understand its elements at the workplace than learning it from a book or teacher. Teens are able to learn about the structure of their job when they are working, and they communicate with other employees that can teach them their own skills. When a teen is working in a job they also learn about management, logistics, marketing, and many business terms. This knowledge is very valuable. It helps students develop their own skills and widen their outlook. When a teen is involved into their job, they usually would want to know about it more. Consequently, when teens get jobs they learn different skills from their jobs that they can apply throughout their life and jobs out of school.

To add on, Teens having a job helps them understand the realities of being an adult. A teenagershould understand that human life is full of challenges at an young age so they can prepare for what life throws at them. Also teens should get used to making their own money as soon as possible. Teens need to realize that their parents and friends will not support them all the time. They need to learn how to support themselves in order to become independent and responsible citizens. A job helps a student become responsible for his decisions and actions. Also, when being an adult they sometimes want to do a different career or they get fired. So with teenangers getting jobs they also learn different feelings from being fired to hating what they are doing. This will set teens with the mindset they need for being a adult.

Overall, it is important for teens to get jobs to teach them different skills they can use throughout their life. When teenagers in high school receive a part-time job they are train to learn skills like professionalism, knowledge, creativity and communicative. Everyone who use to work being a student is more competitive and inventive than other inexperienced teens. These teens that are more experience from the workplace are more likely to be more sociable, successful and open-minded. They also have learned how to resolve conflicts and how to fulfill their duties better. Having a job during the four years of high school will enhance the teenagers’ comprehension of life as an adult and different skills they can use in life.