Stars and Stripes | Teen Ink

Stars and Stripes

By Ellidubz SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Ellidubz SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The Stars and Stripes symbolize all America has to offer. In the Battle of Iwo Jima, 9/11, or landing on the moon, the United States flag has represented sacrifice, struggle and hardship.

Iwo Jima was one of the bloodiest battles in United States history. With the modern advancements in warfare technology, the killings were brutal. Still, U.S. soldiers pushed through waves of infantry and claimed the famous hill, shown in an even more famous picture. There was an obvious struggle, demonstrated by the American casualties. But the United States flag still fought the wind atop Mt. Suribachi. This feat perpetually reminds Americans of the struggle and hardship endured to achieve the rights we have today.

9/11 may be the single most terrifying incident the United States has ever experienced. But, as Arnold Schwarzenegger said, “Strength does not come from winning; your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” With that in mind, it isn’t hard to understand how heros acted on that day. Whether it be the men on flight 93, the soldiers who hunted down the perpetrators, or the firemen who saved lives, American values were present.

Equally as challenging, the moon race was a test of the United States financially, statistically, and methodically. Some of the greatest minds in the US were put to work. Space travel was a new concept in the 1960’s, but JFK didn’t let that phase him. After 12 years of analyzing and computing, the U.S. landed the first man on the moon on July 20th of 1969. While the newly planted flag glistened in the sunlight and danced in the shadows, Americans hooted, hollered, and showed their excitement. The flag represented not only the sacrifice, but also the struggle the US endured.

The United States flag is a distinguished and honorable part of the United States and its history. Iwo Jima, 9/11 and the space race prove the flag represents struggle, sacrifice, and hardship. And this is why I love the land I call home.

USA