Media and Teens | Teen Ink

Media and Teens

January 17, 2013
By runaway_dreams20 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
runaway_dreams20 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Media. It’s just about everywhere, that it becomes apart of you and your everyday life. It has become a big part of teens lives that they can not live without it.

According to Dr.Kim Mason, Counselor Educator of Education said people aged 8-18 devote an average of 7 hours and 38 minutes per day using media ( more than 53 hours a week). Because most of these teens multitask,(using the phone while being on the computer or watching tv while being on the computer) they put in about 10 hours and 45 minutes into those 7 hours and 38 minutes.

Media has changed teens perspectives in many ways, like what clothes are cool to wear or if you don't look a certain way your not pretty. Its brainwashing them and has got them attached to it. Most kids tell their parents that they’ll be using the computer for school and homework but slowly began to veer off to social media sites, youtube and online games. Less than 15% of parents are aware of what there teens are doing online.

The Kaiser Family Foundation a major producer of policy analysis and research, recently conducted a new study about teens and their usage of media. Most of the young people in the study got good grades, 47 percent of the heaviest media users-those who consumed at least 16 hours a day-had mostly C’s or lower compared with 23 percent who typically used media three hours a day or less. The teens that were the heavy media users were also more likely than the lighter media users to report that they were bored or sad, or that they got in trouble, did not get along well with their parents and were not happy at school.

The more time that teens spend using media the higher risk they have of being obese and cyberbullied. Over 80% of teens have a phone making it the most common medium for cyberbullying. In 2011 and the first four months of 2012 CBS new reported there have been 18 cases of suicides with a cyberbullying link.

It’s going to take over society and media will be everywhere. In the streets, in your houses and schools. It will become that if you don’t use media your old fashion. But media isn’t only negative, there are many positive aspects to it. Except teens have been over using it and not using for the best.

Media. You can’t escape it, instead welcome it and utilize it to make good around the world.